Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing Metadata from Photos

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ChrisS, Sep 15, 2021.

1. ChrisS

ChrisS Active Member

I'm interested in how to strip metadata (location and anything else potentially identifying) from photos (jpg, png, etc) before emailing or posting online. There's nothing nefarious going on; just want to preserve privacy where possible. Photos are typically in the Mac world, but Windows solutions would work as well. Prefer something local rather than cloud-based - even if imagine hosting sites claim to do it, I would prefer to do it locally before uploading. Free is good but not required. I assumed there would be something obvious on the Mac/iPhone but didn't see anything. Searching here didn't turn up anything.

Thanks.

Chris

2. Nero

Nero Call me 'Goose'

Search Irfanview.

If using Windows, you also have it on right-click functionality in File Explorer. Just choose Properties and explore from there

3. miktec

miktec unissued

I use Adobe Lightroom (on a Mac) for that purpose - mainly to give me some form of protection in the event of online image theft. Withholding EXIF data from public access leaves you one way of proving that you originated the image should the need arise.

My copy came with a scanner some years back but it is still available on disc via eBay, although you would need to do some work to find out which version is still usable with your Mac OS iteration.

4. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

https://www.irfanview.com/

Best freeware available IMO, packed with bulk functions of all sorts. Windows-only.

e.g. the resize of photos works better there than in Photoshop, at least for users like me with little technical knowledge.

5. ChrisS

ChrisS Active Member

Thanks! Will look at all of the above and be back if I have more questions....

6. Hip-Priest

Hip-Priest Not hip. Not a priest.

Also imageoptim, free, works on macs.

7. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

8. garyi

garyi leave blank

IOS since 13 has an option to remove location data before sharing the photo.