advertisement

Removing Metadata from Photos

ChrisS

pfm Member
I'm interested in how to strip metadata (location and anything else potentially identifying) from photos (jpg, png, etc) before emailing or posting online. There's nothing nefarious going on; just want to preserve privacy where possible. Photos are typically in the Mac world, but Windows solutions would work as well. Prefer something local rather than cloud-based - even if imagine hosting sites claim to do it, I would prefer to do it locally before uploading. Free is good but not required. I assumed there would be something obvious on the Mac/iPhone but didn't see anything. Searching here didn't turn up anything.

Thanks.

Chris

Search Irfanview.

If using Windows, you also have it on right-click functionality in File Explorer. Just choose Properties and explore from there

I'm interested in how to strip metadata (location and anything else potentially identifying) from photos (jpg, png, etc) before emailing or posting online. There's nothing nefarious going on; just want to preserve privacy where possible. Photos are typically in the Mac world, but Windows solutions would work as well. Prefer something local rather than cloud-based - even if imagine hosting sites claim to do it, I would prefer to do it locally before uploading. Free is good but not required. I assumed there would be something obvious on the Mac/iPhone but didn't see anything. Searching here didn't turn up anything.

Thanks.

Chris
I use Adobe Lightroom (on a Mac) for that purpose - mainly to give me some form of protection in the event of online image theft. Withholding EXIF data from public access leaves you one way of proving that you originated the image should the need arise.

My copy came with a scanner some years back but it is still available on disc via eBay, although you would need to do some work to find out which version is still usable with your Mac OS iteration.

https://www.irfanview.com/

Best freeware available IMO, packed with bulk functions of all sorts. Windows-only.

e.g. the resize of photos works better there than in Photoshop, at least for users like me with little technical knowledge.

advertisement

Back