advertisement

Removing complete threads and all posts

ssimon

pfm Member
Why would an inoffensive thread about turntable power supplies be removed, when it is an interesting topic?
Simon

pfm is not a heavily moderated forum by any stretch so I would imagine there will be a good reason, or it was somehow deleted in error (I don't know how difficult or easy it is to delete threads as I've never seen it done via the application).

As Rob suggested, ask the moderation team.

OK, I'd better restart this thread, omitting what I believe to be the contentious item, namely naming a manufacturer who might get upset.
I previously said that I didn't like wallwart power supplies for turntables as in my experience a better power supply improves the SQ of a turntable. I then suggested the now unnamed manufacturer could offer an upgrade if required. I cited the Linn Lingo and Wave Mechanic as previous upgrades that work. I could also have mentioned my Brinkmann La Grange where the SQ was improved by using a valve PS. Interestingly Herr Brinkmann said his reasoning was to filter the noise from the mains by passing it through a triode valve. What do others think?
Simon

Do we believe that valves can be used in a power supply to improve sound quality compared to a lesser engineered PSU. Yes, why not?

A polite message to the mods would be a good idea, I'm sure they would appreciate you asking and endeavouring to stick to the rules, it makes their job easier.

Do we believe that valves can be used in a power supply to improve sound quality compared to a lesser engineered PSU. Yes, why not?

Brinkmann can supply a tube power supply with their LaGRANGE and Balance TTs. It extra mind.

Cheers,

DV

A well designed Valve PSU will be better than a poorly designed Solid State unit just as a well designed Solid State PSU will be better than a poorly designed valve unit. In order to achieve the same performance the Valve unit will be a great deal larger and more expensive than a Solid State equivalent, as well as less reliable in the long term (power valves have a finite life).
To use valves for a turntable PSU these days is boutique lunacy.

A well designed Valve PSU will be better than a poorly designed Solid State unit just as a well designed Solid State PSU will be better than a poorly designed valve unit. In order to achieve the same performance the Valve unit will be a great deal larger and more expensive than a Solid State equivalent, as well as less reliable in the long term (power valves have a finite life).
To use valves for a turntable PSU these days is boutique lunacy.

I'll agree wholeheartedly with the highlighted bit.....

It would be a spectacularly badly designed SS PSU that didn't easily beat a valve one! Notwithstanding the increased size, heat and unreliability of the valve PSU, it would be virtually impossible to build a valve PSU that could match a SS one in terms of actual performance anyway.

Another expensive lure for the gullible

For some reason I had it in my mind that valve rectifiers were good at not passing HF noise? Maybe just a myth I read once!

For some reason I had it in my mind that valve rectifiers were good at not passing HF noise? Maybe just a myth I read once!
Because valve rectifiers don`t have a sharp turn on/off characteristic they don`t generate switching noise to the extent that silicon diodes can, if not implemented properly with snubbers and the correct choice of diode. This is not going to be an issue on a turntable PSU however and of course valve rectifiers are spectacularly inefficient compared to SS - try grabbing hold of the GZ32 on a Quad II for instance - Silicon diodes doing the same job would be barely warm.

They generate less noise than a standard ss rectifier but there are easy ways round that anyway...
I myself have valve/ss hybrid amps under development but the idea of these is to use the device most suited for a certain task and let it play to it's strengths.... hence there are no valves anywhere in the power supplies!

Considering that an audio equipment power supply is generally required to provide a stable DC voltage at adequate current, there shouldn't be any HF noise on it regardless of whether it contains valves or transistors.

The best properly designed power supplies usually employ integrated circuit devices, and heavy current silicon rectifiers.

Silicon rectifiers are much more efficient than valves.

It is not possible to produce ICs using valves.

JC

"The Brinkmann Balance remains one of a handful of the finest turntables being made today. Oh, and Brinkmann's RöNt tubed power supply made a not particularly subtle improvement in the sound, helping to produce cleaner, better-articulated mid- and high-frequency transients.—Michael Fremer".

Haven't heard one myself.

Cheers,

DV

Very OT, but:

Not so practical perhaps rather than not possible - there are all sorts of amusing exceptions out there. Loewe made a 5 or 6valve amplifier in a single tube IIRC; and here's something more extreme - 4096bit memory in a valve!
http://www.rcaselectron.com/

Fascinating stuff - I seem to remember reading a piece in Wireless World in the early sixties to the effect that valve development was not finished, the next thing would be multiple valves in the same envelope with a few passive components included to reduce pin count. Semiconductor development moved rather faster though.

Because valve rectifiers don`t have a sharp turn on/off characteristic they don`t generate switching noise to the extent that silicon diodes can, if not implemented properly with snubbers and the correct choice of diode. This is not going to be an issue on a turntable PSU however and of course valve rectifiers are spectacularly inefficient compared to SS - try grabbing hold of the GZ32 on a Quad II for instance - Silicon diodes doing the same job would be barely warm.

They also give a soft-start PSU which might be useful in some circumstances.

I previously said that I didn't like wallwart power supplies for turntables as in my experience a better power supply improves the SQ of a turntable.

Surely must depend on what's in the wall wart or box.
Some just contain a small transformer, others shoehorn in an IC regulated DC PSU that's perfectly good.

advertisement

Back