advertisement

Remote PSU's & decoupling at the load

mega lord

Centre tapped
Good morning.

My amplifier (phono and power amps) and CDP builds are to all have remote psu's. I realise it is best practice to locate the transformer, rectifier and the majority of the smoothing / reservoir capacitance all close together in the psu chassis.

This means smoothed DC will be passed along a cable to the other chassis containing the amplifier circuitry and any regulation . I know that i will require the final smoothing capacitor in the chain to be local to the load or regulator to filter out any noise picked up on the wiring.

My monobloc power amp psu's consist of three 10,000 uf caps in parallel per polarity for the output stages and three 2,200 uf caps in parallel for the input stages (LTP & VAS).

My main question is how big a capacitance do i need to locate at the load for best performance ? Same as the capacitors upstream or can i go lower ?

Many thanks.

What makes you think the manufacturer has got it wrong? What makes you think RF, as there is no other "interference" going to be picked up in the wiring, is best dealt with by electrolytics (it's not!)? Why have you rejected ferrites? Etc... etc... It seems that all sorts of assumptions are being made, that there is even a problem for a start...

Thanks for your response......i think ?????

Ok, forget the bit about the wiring and pick up.

Everything i have read about remote PSU's say that it is best to have the last smoothing caps near the load. That is all i really want to ask about, should i add another the same as the last one in the remote psu or can they be smaller ?

The only advice I'm prepared to give here is don't do it. There are myriad ways it could makes things worse or even cause it to go unstable due to ground return currents having new and different paths. There is a lot more to this than it appears.

Thanks for that.

Well, nothing tried nothing learned as they say. I will report back when i have blown it all up :D

advertisement

Back