advertisement

remote location for record deck...how long can a cable be?

Rockmeister

pfm Member
I have no inbuilt phono stage. If i move the deck to another room, I'm guessing that I cant have a 10m phono cable unless its hawser thick. Can I however, keep a separate phone stage near the deck and run the line cable from that to the amp at that large distance? (It's likely to be about 6 or 7 meters in reality and have to follow some sharp corners around)
All ideas welcomed! It's that or sell the current deck, since the walls nearby the HiFi stack are badly built plasterboard and no way will take the weight of the current deck. My records are all 'next door' in a room with stone walls. I can put the deck nearby.

TT with built in phono stage with Line output
or BT/wireless TT with Line output
or Phono Stage with Balanced XLR output for long cables

In the past I ran a 'remote' TT & phonostage just due to having no other place for the TT to be placed, I used the standard tonearm cable to phonostage as normal and then ran a pair of 7m long interconnects to the amplifier, no issues whatsoever, I've a half metre set of the same interconnects and it's impossible to hear the difference in them (I have tried) . Balanced XLR may be an advantage if your phonostage and line stage are equipped with Balanced outputs and inputs, hth

No balanced inputs on the Leben 600.
But there is no electrical reason why 10m of a standard cable like chord clearway shouldn't be ok?
Ok. Ta.

I guess a 10m unbalanced connection might pick up noise - that's obviously location dependent. But you'd hope that the phono stage would be able to drive a 10m interconnect OK.

Perhaps the dull answer is to buy a cheapo 10m interconnect and try it?

As Davidrsb says, you'd probably be wiser to get a simple RIAA preamp to put near the deck and amplify/correct the signals before a long cable run. The output from a decent amp will be much less likely to be prone to noise, interference, etc.

FWIW I run a long cable from the output of my main preamp, around 5m I think. And use a pair of runs of UHF TV coax cable for the job. Works fine.

examples of a simple RIAA preamp that cost a similar amount to a decent phono stage?
Ta.

I'm not clear what distinction you'te making. Is it as per below?

FWIW my favourite electronic *design* for an RIAA preamp/phono 'stage' has been the one based on using the old Hitachi HA12017. As used here:
http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Armstrong/700/700page5.html
I still have a couple of the devices IIRC and a board. But I fear the 12017 is now unobtainium. It was designed specifically as an RIAA amp for MM designs. (I added a pre-pre-amp for MC. Which then feeds the RIAA stage.)

There may be better devices targetted on the job, now, though.

Try a cheap cable first. You may find it works with no problems. Otherwise EAR used to make a version of their 834p phono stage with a volume pot, that's a great sounding thing and they come up secondhand reasonably often.

Not sure of your layout but faced with a long run i realised i could drill through a wall and reduce it plus avoiding a doorway.

Couple of 30cm lengths of 15mm conduit tidied up the job.

All ideas welcomed! It's that or sell the current deck, since the walls nearby the HiFi stack are badly built plasterboard and no way will take the weight of the current deck. My records are all 'next door' in a room with stone walls. I can put the deck nearby.
If you make a large load bearing "wall" of plywood, for example, you can sit the bottom edge on the floor and then screw or glue the body of it to the plasterboard. It spreads the load on the wall, which is now only subject to forces at right angles to it, and most of the actual weight is on the floor. If the board can reach up to the ceiling, then there is very little load on the wall. Make it into a feature, with fabric or a large print.

If you make a large load bearing "wall" of plywood, for example, you can sit the bottom edge on the floor and then screw or glue the body of it to the plasterboard. It spreads the load on the wall, which is now only subject to forces at right angles to it, and most of the actual weight is on the floor. If the board can reach up to the ceiling, then there is very little load on the wall. Make it into a feature, with fabric or a large print.
And great minds…that’s just where I have decided to go. I was going to recess bolts and washers into the back, no nails it to the wall and put screws through from the front into the end timbers of the existing wall. The bolts will be placed for shelf brackets and, with a paint job?

Or fix a substantial batten across two uprights behind the plasterboard at deck level to suit. Cut out a 1" thick ply (or anything) for the top shelf and support that on each side at the front by running battens down to the skirting board at an angle. With a bit of care this could look reasonable. I did this in two separately located rented rooms in1970/71 as a student to house my 401/3012/V15. Solid as a rock 'n' roll.

well, we are on the same song sheet. Whichever way the nails go in, it's going to save a lot of money over 10+ meters of RCA interconnect.
Which money can go to a better phono stage.

If its any help, I run a 6m unbalanced cable from my TT/Phono Stage with no issues. Using balanced cable which my previous amp supported did not yield anything better than using the unbalanced cable. Both cables were simple Mogami ones. I have since upgraded to a Analysis Plus unbalanced cable which has brought sonic improvements over the Mogami one and is 6.5m in length.

Can you not just drill a hole through the wall to run the cable directly?

advertisement

Back