advertisement

Remapping diesels for better mpg

At 70mph, what rpm is the engine at?

if it’s revving at say 2,500, I doubt there’s much you can do.

Check what was changed in the service history, or better still eyeball them yourself. I'd bet the fuel filter (and possibly air filter) are original and very clogged.

Think bunch I used were Quantum tuning dealers. Good bunch and varied mapping options but it'll never get you to 50mpg!

Probably never? Although, it has been recently dealer serviced at 25000 miles, now on 27,000.

Hmmm. 13 years of 2k miles per year?

I’d be getting the EGR valve checked for starters.

Then I’d have boost hoses etc checked for leaks.

However. The last couple of little diesel vans I drove weren’t great on long runs. Revs were too high for economy at mway speeds. They’re designed to still be able to keep up their speed on an mway hill while carrying a pallet of printed paper and a fat bloke.

Hmmm. 13 years of 2k miles per year?

I’d be getting the EGR valve checked for starters.

Then I’d have boost hoses etc checked for leaks.

However. The last couple of little diesel vans I drove weren’t great on long runs. Revs were too high for economy at mway speeds. They’re designed to still be able to keep up their speed on an mway hill while carrying a pallet of printed paper and a fat bloke.
its a November 2016 first registration, not even three years old yet!

What’s the £ gain you’d get? If you do say 8,000 miles/yr, that’s 200 gallons or say £1,200 in fuel. 5% improvement is £60/yr, so advice is do the sums and see how much you would spend n save, if you get my equation.

What’s the £ gain you’d get? If you do say 8,000 miles/yr, that’s 200 gallons or say £1,200 in fuel. 5% improvement is £60/yr, so advice is do the sums and see how much you would spend n save, if you get my equation.
Yes but......you get more power for free in that case!

It would get up my nose, if I want 39 mpg I'll get a petrol Mondeo. My Jag does 55 on a run, 40 in town. I don't mind it sounding like a tractor at that.

I had a company Astra diesel once, awful thing. Dog slow and 40 mpg. A 1.4 petrol version was faster, nicer and 45 mpg.

It would get up my nose, if I want 39 mpg I'll get a petrol Mondeo. My Jag does 55 on a run, 40 in town. I don't mind it sounding like a tractor at that.

I had a company Astra diesel once, awful thing. Dog slow and 40 mpg. A 1.4 petrol version was faster, nicer and 45 mpg.
Exactly...but in France and Germany diesel is 10 cents cheaper per litre, so the petrol Mazda2 petrol car doing 35mpg had to go. And you can get better company allowances if your van is diesel. I cant remember what exactly!

advertisement

Back