Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] relay for NA325 board

Discussion in 'd.i.y. classifieds' started by synapse, Jul 14, 2020.

1. synapse

synapse pfm Member

feel fairly certain my relay has finally decided to stop switching and I cannot find a replacement ....does anyone on here have or know of something that would drop in??

2. hp1

hp1 pfm Member

google is your friend , but it will probably be different make than the original. post the numbers on it here.

3. snowman_al

snowman_al pfm Member

From memory there are two different types?
    One where you cannot see the legs of the relay and the other with the legs visible alongside the relay body. Which are you looking for?

4. hp1

hp1 pfm Member

ERG e-2a-12 = pin layout e, 2a = double pole double throw ,12 = 12volt. try a dyad cp clare prma2a12 or equivalent by hamlin etc some have a coil protection diode built in some not, either will be fine.

5. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

When I still had my NAC72 I took all the boards out and got photos. @hp1 is right about the part number (at least for my board revision, which was the final IIRC).

[​IMG]

And for future reference, here's all the boards in one shot:

[​IMG]

6. synapse

synapse pfm Member

wow thanks all...it's a na325/1? in an early 32.5 and I cannot see the legs of the relay as snowman_si asked...replacements seem too small to fit the current probable pin layout? But, I'll see what can be done but would rather not go for flying leads??

7. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

See how in my photo the board has four unused holes? Those would have probably been there to allow the option of the (older?) larger relay.

I'm guessing you can't see the legs from the top side because the relay is one of those big boxy ones. But can you not see the legs by looking at the back of the pcb?

8. synapse

synapse pfm Member

booja....that makes some sense...I'll get the big boxy rectangular thing out and then maybe some new holes may work if the tracks are the same or perhaps flying leads won't be such a chore...I'll let you know how it all pans out

9. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

The most economical non-DIY solution would probably be to send the NA325 board only to someone like Witch Hat or Class A for repair. It would at least save on round trip postage vs sending the whole preamp.

On the other hand if you want to try it yourself you could probably drill new holes like you said assuming they wouldn't go through the wrong track. If the new holes don't hit anything you could put insulated wire jumpers from the relay pins to the original pad locations.

I have a spare of the CP Clare relay above, and I'd offer to do the job myself but I'm in Spain and post to/from here is neither cheap nor fast.

10. hp1

hp1 pfm Member

Just had a close look at this as I have a 32 with the old ERG relay and a newer style cp clare one to hand,the body of the erg one is approx 3mm wider so the holes in the pcb are 3mm wider but there is enough leg on the newer style relay to bend the 1.5mm either side to make it fit. All other dimensions are the same btw.

booja30 likes this.
  11. synapse

synapse pfm Member

thanks all...I'll give it a whirl in the next couple of days

12. snowman_al

snowman_al pfm Member

I think you will find the two relays are different in layout...
    The newer style is in line. The older style has 3 pins at each end. Might be a s t r e c h too far?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are in my old Naim spares box, yours for a £5 in the UK. PM me if that helps? Alan

13. synapse

synapse pfm Member

that is indeed what my relay looks like :-(
    I'm going to check the board's supply and components (those diodes) but everything up to now suggests that I might well take you up on your kind offer...thanks snowman and I'll pm if needed

14. snowman_al

snowman_al pfm Member

For completeness the earlier one looks like this;
    [​IMG]

Image from Laverda.

15. synapse

synapse pfm Member

question...if I only ever use one source; what's the harm in bypassing/pulling this board??

16. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

Isn't it meant to delay output from the preamp to the amp after switching on? If you pull the board you'd have to make jumpers between some of the motherboard pins. And IIRC some have mentioned that it becomes much more important to remember to switch on the preamp before the amp if you disable startup delay.

17. synapse

synapse pfm Member

yes I could make jumpers for pins 3-4 and 2-5 and remember to switch on amp last and off first....any other issues?

18. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

Not that I'm aware of.

I'd still consider sending the board off for a fix if only just for completeness if you sell the preamp.

19. synapse

synapse pfm Member

thanks for the concern booja but it's well past being original; flying film caps and STRs everywhere! sounds good to my ears though :)

booja30 likes this.