Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

REL sub with Linn Kairn/LK140 set up advice needed

Discussion in 'audio' started by Nye Samuel, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

Hi...I am about to plumb in a REL T Zero subwoofer using the high level lead.

The instructions are clear: red to right positive, yellow to left positive and black to either negative.

However the Kairn inverses the phase...so when I connect my speaker cables to the LK140 to correct the phase inversion...black banana plug to red socket and red banana plug to black socket.

So which socket do the REL banana plugs go?...Red/Yellow (REL) to red (LK140) and black (REL) to black (LK140) or Red/Yellow (REL) to black (LK140) and black (REL) to red (LK140).

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I’d connect it the “normal” way, ie black to black, I’m unsure exactly how the high level in is wired internally but if the black/negatives are summed internally, you’ll short the channels of the LK140 together if you connect the sub in reverse polarity. You should be able to invert the phase on the sub which will deal with with the phase issue.

Amber Audio likes this.
  3. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

There’s a 0/180 phase invert bottom rear toggle switch.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  4. linnfomaniac83

Yep, use that, connect the speaker plugs the conventional way. There is a very real possibility of damaging the LK140 if you reverse the leads into a high level input on a sub. The black/negative/ground connections on/in the sub will more than likely be common (ie, connected together).

5. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

The speaker leads are inverted...so red to black and black to red...but the REL banana plugs should remain red/yellow to red and black to black?

6. linnfomaniac83

Yes, that’s right, don’t try it the other way round, you could damage the amp. You can use the phase invert switch on the sub to correct the phase.

7. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

So (apologies for repeating myself)...I should invert the speaker cables BUT not the REL cables...Is that correct?

REL recommended to me that I stack the banana plugs...REL banana plus first and then speaker banana plugs....or in the circumstances use the second row of speaker outlets for the REL banana plugs?

8. linnfomaniac83

Yes that’s correct, invert the speakers but NOT the REL.

And yes, use one row for the speakers and the other for the REL, that makes absolutely sense.

9. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

Should I stack them or use separate speaker output sockets?

10. Amber Audio

Take a pic and post it if you want to be 100% sure so LinnFo can check it out.

11. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

Ok...but I won't turn anything on.

linnfomaniac83 and Amber Audio like this.
  12. Amber Audio

Yeah I mean cable up no power so you can’t do any damage, pic speaks a thousand words as they say

13. linnfomaniac83

Good call

14. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

[​IMG]on Flickr

LK140 with no cables...I am using the top row for my speaker cables.

15. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

[​IMG]on Flickr

Here are the speaker cables suitably inverted.

Next one will show the REL cables attached.

16. linnfomaniac83

All good, now just connect the REL cable to the bottom row conventionally (not inverted).

17. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

[​IMG] on Flickr

This is how REL suggested I wired it up...but I forgot that the Kairn inverters the phasing....so should I do this or get BFA plugs and use the speaker outputs that I am not using?

18. linnfomaniac83

That’ll work… looks confusing but I can see why you’re stacked the plugs (only one set of BFA adapters).

Just remember to invert the phase using the switch on the sub, otherwise you’ll get cancellation at the overlapping frequencies.

19. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

I am a bit concerned that something could go wrong with this set up.... wondering if I should get another set of plugs and use the lower row of speaker outputs conventionally?

20. linnfomaniac83

It’ll work as is, but would be neater with a second set of BFA adapters and the sub connected to the bottom row, less strain on the speaker sockets too.