advertisement

Rel Strata III repair

mark.king

pfm Member
After many years my Rel sub has gone faulty on me. At first I thought the speaker had blown with the symptoms. Sort of a farty sound brpbrpbrp. Sorry best I could do to explain but was also getting full movement. I took the driver out of the sub and tried it in my IPL sub and the driver works perfectly in the IPL so the problem must be the amplifier.

I would hate to throw the sub out as it’s a great solid box. So does anyone know or someone around the Leeds Bradford Halifax area who can do repairs? I’ve taken a look for obvious things but I’m no electronics expert. The board does look dark around a couple of components so maybe they have burnt out.

any help appreciated. Cheers

BK subwoofers do several amplifier modules for DIY use. I fitted one of their 1,000W digital panel amps in my SVS sub. a few years ago, which is great and better than the original.

Ah found the plate amplifiers but they are all a bit too expensive for what the old REL is worth. I think I would have to swap the driver as well as although 10” the magnet is not very substantial unlike my home made IPL sub drive unit

That's an interesting option Misterdog. I use Dirac for my A/V system, but I can see that being very handy for folk trying to integrate a sub. into their stereo system.

Nice but nearly £500. The Rel just doesn’t seem worth it although I’m toying with the idea of a plate amp and new speaker as the box is really nice and solidly built.

Depending how old your Rel unit is could decide how you go about getting it repaired. I was visiting BK Electronics in Southend 10 days ago and during conversation found out that BK used to manufacture some of the older Rel items, 15 to 20 years ago. Hope this helps you.

I'm sure that you could DIY a replacement amp fairly easily, there are amp modules all over Fleabay for very little. Class D of course. It would be fun even if not particularly financially viable.

What's the replacement cost, used? Probably not obscene.

Thanks for the replies. My decision is do I go for a straight repair, swap amp unit or do a full rebuild. I had a look at that panel on eBay and you can get them on amazon as well.

what would be interesting is that there are only 4 wires from the filter section controls to the amplifier module. I could do with the controls that are on the back panel. I’ll have to see what comes out of those and if I could feed to a cheap class D amp.

Mark

Kevin Green at The Audio Cellar knows a bit about those REL plate amps. He was able to get my old Q201e back functioning for very little money
Apparently there are a couple of resistors in there that are prone to frying because they are under rated

If you are in the Bicester are he may well be worth contacting

eddie

I’m in Halifax so a long way off Bicester. When I get home after this weekend I’ll get some pics of where I think the problem is and post them.

What do people use now for uploading photos? I used to have Flickr but the didn’t support the email I had before and wanted access to just about everything when I tried to sign up again.

advertisement

Back