advertisement

Rega vs Naim

I'd choose a Brio with most speakers
Phono and headphone out another bonus
Maybe a Nait 2 is better investment

I could swear someone did a Brio-R/Nait 2 comparative test within the past three years or so. I don't think it was Gary, but it was a regular....

No one is making them buy it so why don't they f**k off and leave those of who enjoy Naim to enjoy it and they can enjoy whatever kit it is that floats their boat.

Because this is what the internet is actually good for. I used Naim for twenty years and bought a Naim CD player as recently as about six months ago so my opinion on the kit is as valid as anybodies. Thanks to the internet people can get honest opinions on any equipment they might be thinking about buying without having to rely solely on dealers and the Hi-Fi press. If all dissenters were to shut up as you suggest it would put us back thirty years.

Besides, if you were truly confident in your choices you would not give a stuff what anyone else says about them.

Because this is what the internet is actually good for. I used Naim for twenty years and bought a Naim CD player as recently as about six months ago so my opinion on the kit is as valid as anybodies. Thanks to the internet people can get honest opinions on any equipment they might be thinking about buying without having to rely solely on dealers and the Hi-Fi press. If all dissenters were to shut up as you suggest it would put us back thirty years.

Or you could just use your ears you utter muppet! You seem to be saying you bought kit you now don't like because someone on the Internet said something else is better....

Besides, if you were truly confident in your choices you would not give a stuff what anyone else says about them.

... and then you imply I have some sort of latent issue... the irony!

PS It's not what you lot say, it's the fact you seem to feel the need to keep saying it that is tiresome!

Some people see bashing everywhere
And in panic if someone is expressing their view

Basically I believe its often, and merely opinions and free speech, based on current situation
This is not North Korea.

Some people see bashing everywhere
And in panic if someone is expressing their view

Basically I believe its often, and merely opinions and free speech, based on current situation
This is not North Korea.

Yoda, have you been on the sauce again? ;)

Ironically, imo, many look back on Olive/JV era as peak yet it was also the period when the brand had its most fervent supporters. The current naim range is different but the differences in presentation are not massive. I think the current kit is expensive but you can pay more or less with other marques.

I had Naim gear for 20 years, beginning with Nait3/CD3.
But my satisfaction was always short. Unfortunately,
my dealer helped me to burn a lot of money in this years.
Now I am really satisfied for less money. If someone would
go the Naim way: Why not!
For me it was a real long time of searching for the holy grale!

I wonder if you concluded decision for another amp ?
Ended up not comparing. Was offered a good deal on a Elex-r so took it on home demo and loved it. Really happy with it and is on a par with the rest of my system, so pretty well balanced ie not thinking any component is holding the sound back.

Will at some point in the future compare naim no doubt. Would be interested to hear rega aetheos vs supernait 3, but not for the foreseeable.

I could swear someone did a Brio-R/Nait 2 comparative test within the past three years or so.
I compared the previous shoebox version Brio-R to Nait 1 and 2 several months ago and preferred the Naits (and Exposure XV for that matter) but each to their own and another person might clearly prefer the Brio. I quite liked the presentation of the Brio - smooth and refined. It was bloody heavy too and a remote is always welcome.

Last edited:
had a very similar situation...had a brio....then demo'ed a ellicit r and a supernait 2.....the rega seemed more solid in the bass and sound to the fore to me....bought the ellicit and love it

Brexiters should go for Rega as naim is too involved with mainland Europe and those horrible French. Feed the Bulldog. :confused::eek:o_O:rolleyes:

I bought a Nait 5 unheard, found it irritating after a while and chopped it in for Rega separates. Picked a Naim CD player over the Rega offerings so tried a Supernate, still irritating but a 202/200 wasn’t.
If you’re keeping the expenditure sane maybe Rega is the better bet but I’ve not heard the SN 2 or 3. This is what auditions are for and a dealer you can trust not to put his hands on the scales is good to have.

I’m running a 500 series Naim system now and thoroughly enjoy it but could very easily set it up to sound disappointing by changing the plug order or tangling a few cables so anyone who thinks this sort of thing can’t have any effect isn’t going to get very far with Naim. I wouldn’t have it if the money had been needed elsewhere but you can’t take it with you and I’m old enough to have been reminded of that.

advertisement

Back