advertisement

Rega vs Naim

I'd have a listen to some other makes as well as the above.

I did this 18 months ago and ended up with a Denon - to my surprise. Can't always dem back to back and it took me some weeks of travelling and listening.

That said I didn't hear a 'bad' amp. Have fun.

I once was fortunate enough to listen and compare all the Naim preamps. There was a small but better difference as you went up to the NAC552 and difference was even more noticeable as you went back down the range. You notice the decline in detail, tonal colours, clarity going back down the range. What you lose becomes very noticeable. I then switched over to a NAD DAC with as digital control volume costing a fraction of the NAC552, on some same speakers, same power amp, in the same room a few minutes later and blow me away!!! The detail, tonal colours, clarity and pleasure was just as good perhaps even more PRATTY. Just goes to show you. The audiophile world never ceases to surprise.

What is the ‘Rega sound’?
What is the ‘Naim sound’?
Without descending into an ‘all competent amps sound the same blinfdold’, surely, there must be a fair degree of overlap?
Those that have lived with both l, how do you sum up the sounds please?
I would be interested to hear opinions from those who have listened to both too.

My understanding is that both have really good timing but the naim sound is more forward.

I do really like my rega system but curious about owning a naim system.

Also how do the two mix eg rega source and naim amp or vice versa

I once was fortunate enough to listen and compare all the Naim preamps. There was a small but better difference as you went up to the NAC552 and difference was even more noticeable as you went back down the range. You notice the decline in detail, tonal colours, clarity going back down the range. What you lose becomes very noticeable. I then switched over to a NAD DAC with as digital control volume costing a fraction of the NAC552, on some same speakers, same power amp, in the same room a few minutes later and blow me away!!! The detail, tonal colours, clarity and pleasure was just as good perhaps even more PRATTY. Just goes to show you. The audiophile world never ceases to surprise.

Was that the C 658?

Looks like a useful bit of kit.

Maybe the thread title should be changed to Naim + Rega = a good combo! From where I’m sitting, Rega sources + Naim amps makes a great sound. :cool:

I bought a Naim system about 10 years ago & it sounded good in the shop. However when I got it home it was totally "blurred" with my speakers so it was taken back by the dealers & I bought a Quad 99 system which I still have.
I have Rega kit in other systems including both the Elicit-R & Elex-R amplfiers which both sound fine to me. The Elex-R has fewer facilities than the Elicit-R but is significantly cheaper.
My vote goes for Rega but you should try the kit at home in your own system whichever brand you choose.

I owned Naim CD players and amps for twenty years. I now have a Rega turntable, CD player and DAC. I've never owned a Rega amplifier although I have heard them.

I can't see me ever buying Naim again. Perhaps the best way to sum up the difference is that with Naim you tend to be thinking 'This is impressive, but it's not right. What is the next upgrade I can do?'

Rega tends to be a little less impressive initially but once you get to know it the feeling is 'This is music, this has to stay'.

Which Naim amps for twenty years?

I guess it's down to "what works for you" which may not work out for others. Your experience is the total opposite of mine. I bought a new Rega Elicit mk2 and sold it after 8 months as musically it did not satisfy. I switched to Naim NAC 200 and NAP200 and the Naims stayed for 9 years and I still have it in my system.

I did think about what the higher range Naim amplification can do so i bought the 282/250DR/Hicap DR (new) about 2 years ago. Nevertheless I don't think of upgrading anymore although there is the 252, 552 as 300DR. The 282/250DR are keepers for me, my end game system. I still retain the 202/200 in the second system as I am quite smitten with the sound quality of these amps. Others may think it is inferior to the 282/250 but I'm more inclined to think that it is just a different sound presentation. Most importantly it is still musically satisfying.

My own interpretation of the "Rega sound", based on my single experience with the Elicit Mk2 is a softer and mellower presentation when compared to Naim's more immediate and impactful sound. I prefer the rhythmic abilities of the Naim amps more than the Rega when both these amps are used with Harbeth loudspeakers.

I don't have experience with Naim and Rega sources although i briefly owned a Rega P5 turntable many years ago.

That is an exceptionally ugly amplifier - although I suspect it'll probably sound good.
I share the same sentiment. Apart from aesthetics, the build quality between Naim and Rega is different. The case of the Rega amps is made of softer steel (or plastic). When you exert force of the case you can feel the softness. On the other hand the case of Naim amps is solid and it won't flex with any force exerted on the case.

Also, it is a matter of preference but I much prefer the aesthetics of the simple but elegant faceplate of the current Naim classic black amps.

Last edited:
As nobody else seems up for he challenge, here goes:

I started with a Nait 5i and ended up at 252/250. As I went up the Naim ladder, the noise floor dropped away and the sound changed from fast and a bit messy to individual instruments being very clear. I tried a DR amp too and thought it really improved the stereo spacing thing.

Rega Elicit R is bouncier and easier to listen to but lacks the precise stereo imaging of the Naim DR amps.

Ray

As nobody else seems up for he challenge, here goes:

I started with a Nait 5i and ended up at 252/250. As I went up the Naim ladder, the noise floor dropped away and the sound changed from fast and a bit messy to individual instruments being very clear. I tried a DR amp too and thought it really improved the stereo spacing thing.

Rega Elicit R is bouncier and easier to listen to but lacks the precise stereo imaging of the Naim DR amps.

Ray
Have you ever compared the non DR integrates to the Elicit R ie nait XS range? Do you have any experience with rega source into naim amps?

I share the same sentiment. Apart from aesthetics, the build quality between Naim and Rega is different. The case of the Rega amps is made of softer steel (or plastic). When you exert force of the case you can feel the softness. On the other hand the case of Naim amps is solid and it won't flex with any force exerted on the case.

Also, it is a matter of preference but I much prefer the aesthetics of the simple but elegant faceplate of the current Naim classic black amps.

I guess aesthetics is down to personal taste, I think it looks good.
I didn't particularly like the way the back panel on the Brio R flexed when disconnecting tight RCA phono plugs, but in reality how often does that need to be done? Although I have never used any of Rega"s mid range or indeed the Osiris amp I would expect this Aethos amp to have a much higher build quality.

Have you ever compared the non DR integrates to the Elicit R ie nait XS range? Do you have any experience with rega source into naim amps?

Over a period of six years I don't recall anyone of our clients choosing a Rega amp over Naim amplification regardless of source or loudspeakers. Highlight was back in 2013 when one of our clients after using Mickey Hart's Global Drum Project album chose and bought a Naim Nait XS over an Elicit-R after because "with the Rega it sounded like the natives have gone back into their huts" :D

I didn't particularly like the way the back panel on the Brio R flexed when disconnecting tight RCA phono plugs

The new Brio is nicely upgraded in the build department. I'm sure they've learned their lesson.

And the Elex-R I owned was just a brick, no complaints. I'm sure they are similarly solid or better as you move up the range.

I have successfully used Rega sources with Naim amplication for ages.

In the old days sources were Linn
Great times too but had LP12 issues
As their CD sources no longer were supported, I looked elsewhere.

In the days when I chopped and changed a lot one of the best sounds I had was from the Nait Xs and a Rega Saturn. I’ve had many Naim integrated amps and most of the Rega too. For me the best Naim sound came from the XS and worst was the pre power combo of the 202/200. As far as Rega goes. The Brio R for the money is brilliant. I found both Elex and Elicit lacking in what I expected for the money. Now days it’s an Avondaled 250 but that’s another story

i'd get a Planar 8 and (cartridge dependent) accoutrements and a Nait 3, keeping the Rega DAC and your Neat speakers. if you want to continue on with Naim from there, i'd save your pennies and go directly to a 282/Hicap/250.

Which Naim amps for twenty years?

The first Naim amp I bought was a Nait2 and the best I had was a 72/hicap/250. I've also heard a lot of Naim amps in a lot of systems but almost all olive stuff. I've not heard much of the newer stuff at all, I understand it has a different sonic signature?

i'd get a Planar 8 and (cartridge dependent) accoutrements and a Nait 3, keeping the Rega DAC and your Neat speakers. if you want to continue on with Naim from there, i'd save your pennies and go directly to a 282/Hicap/250.
Why the nait 3? Do you rate it higher than the current naim stuff?

advertisement

Back