advertisement

Rega upgrade?

acinder

pfm Member
I have a Rega P2 with an Incognito arm rewire and Michel technoweight fitted with an Elys2 cartridge which I enjoy very much. I am now buying more new vinyl and was wondering if it would be a worthwhile upgrade to have a new Exact cartridge fitted bearing in mind the limitations of the deck. I use a Musical Fidelity Vlps phono stage into a Supernait. Thoughts appreciated or any other cartridge recommendations please.

I would say that your deck was pretty maxed out tbh.

Further worthwhile upgrades will involve a new deck.

I disagree. That set up is more than capable of revealing the considerable difference between an Elys2 and, say, an Ortofon 2M Bronze (cost-wise in the same ballpark as the Exact, but much cleaner and more precise to my ears).

I also disagree but in a different way... Give the Exact a try. It is a really nice sounding MM cart and, of course, retains the simple set-up and Rega synergy. I use one on my P3-24 and have no complaints at all.

Though, in all honesty, I must admit I haven't heard the Ortofon. The Exact does the job nicely for me!

Put a Denon DL110 on it. Far more capable than the Rega MMs.
If you don't already have them, fit a Rega glass platter and white belt.

Some good advice given above though obviously much of it mutually exclusive! I also have a P2 and have thought about various updates/mods.

The question I have thought about is "what is the goal?" It is possible to basically remake the P2 with an updated platter, subplatter, counterweight, motor, external power supply, arm, etc. At some point, it seems to me to make more sense to save that money toward an RP3 or 6 unless the journey and the incremental process is part of the fun.

In the meantime, a good cartridge is something that can be transferred to a later table so that seems like a great place to go first.

For now I have limited the updates to replacing the original Bias2 cartridge with a Nagaoka MP-110 and using the Baerwald alignment rather than Rega's. Both were improvements. (I also have a Denon DL-110 on a different table. If I had to pick 1, I would go for the Denon.) I haven't heard the other cartridges you or others mention so I can't comment on them.

One thing you don't mention is what you are looking for out of the potential upgrade. Is there something that seems to be missing or is it that vague sense of "I wonder if this could be better?" Thinking about that might help put some of the advice you get, as well as other things you read on-line, in context.

HTH.

Chris

Many thanks for all your opinions.Its probably a case of wondering where it could take me. I had an RP3 with Clearaudio Concept MM cartridge previously along with the separate pwr supply and I didnt find it much of an improvement on the present modified P2 with the Elys2. If I could stretch it I should go for an RP6 or for less money try a new cartridge.

advertisement

Back