Rega system upgrade

Have slowly built up my Rega system by trawling the secondhand market

Current system is
Planet 2000
Cursa 2000
Maia 2000
RS3's
Rega couple interconnects

Was thinking about a secondhand Jupiter, Apollo or even Saturn as next step as consider the source to now be the weak link (and I could repartner the Planet with the Mira I initially bought with the Planet as a second system). But now the Rega Dac is out this may be a better option than a secondhand Saturn and presume that I could even consider using my Panasonic BRay player as the transport rather than the Planet ?? and use the Planet with the Mira.
Would the DAC be the better option as also thinking of getting into Squeezebox / NAS ?

Also can pick up secondhand Maia 2000 for not much these days. Is it a worthwhile upgrade to monobloc two Maia ?

No to the maia monoblock, but a pair of exons would be a good bet. The Maia would bi-amp, the exon monblock. The Maia should be driving the 3's without breaking sweat. I would take yourself off to your local rega emporium, and arrange to compare a DAC fed by the planet with a saturn. Having had the pleasue of using a planet and saturn, the DAC is a upgrade in all ways on the planet, but in my opinion different to, rather than outright better than, the saturn.

Great thanks for the info on the Maia. I can't bi-amp the speakers so will concentrate resources on the front end for now as a pair of exons won't come cheap, even secondhand.

I'll do as you suggest re trying out the Planet/DAC vs Saturn. Do you think it's worthwhile taking my Blu Ray player as well to see if that would work with the DAC hence freeing up the Planet for use with my Mira ?

advertisement

Back