advertisement

Rega Streamer

wcavanagh

pfm Member
Hello everyone, this is my first post on PFM.

I fear I'm getting sucked into the Naim upgrade cycle and I'm wondering whether to sell up now and go with a SuperUniti and just be done with it, or go with a different manufacturers product that don't beg to be upgraded with power supplies and the like. Given my past experience of Rega products I reckon they would make a decent streamer for sensible money.

Does anyone have insider info on when / if Rega will ever release a streamer?

I'm with you there. I automatically dislike a product which begs to be upgraded out of the box. Go with a difference manufacturer.

As for Rega, they don't tend to jump on the bandwagon until they feel the time is right; they didn't release their first CD player until the late 90s. Personally I think Cambridge Audio are ruling the streaming market; their apps are great and their streamers just work as advertised with no fiddling about.

I have done this with a vintage Rega amp: Streaming lossless files from my laptop (or phone, or direct wired connection from my other desktop Mac) > Apple TV3 (optical output) > Meridian Director >Rega > PMC TB2S+

Rega 2 by s_worksair, on Flickr

Rega by s_worksair, on Flickr

PMC by s_worksair, on Flickr

For the compact size and sensible coin it sounds fantastic. High fidelity sounds with lifestyle looks and convenience. All the kit hides behind the slimline Rega. It just looks like one vintage amp on display. Much cheaper than some of the "all in one" options. Plus there is full UK backup if required. Of course you can do this with any vintage kit.

I recommend a Solidrun Hummingboard pro.
http://solid-run.com/product/hummingboard-carrier-pro/

I run one with Volumio installed and control it with my phone using the Volumio android app. The hardware is better quality than a Pi, particularity the power supply section and there no stuttering when streaming 24bit 96hz and above. The main clincher for is that it features coax SPDIF streaming as well as USB. My MDAC will only accept 24bit 192hz via coax.

Nice setup QUBIQ :)

In the past I owned a Squeezebox Touch + various DACs and though the sound quality was good, usability wasn't great at all.

What I love about my UnitiLite is it's just so damn easy for the whole family to use. It's connected to the TV for all audio duties, anyone can easily choose a radio station or initiate a Spotify playlist etc... I don't want to lose this ease of use.

The Cambridge Audio CXN looks neat. Does anyone have experience of how the CXN + suitable power amp compares to a UnitiLite?

I also looked into naim offerings. However I decided I wouldn't use a lot of the functions. For example:

I don't wish to rent music via any subscription services such as Spotify. I still prefer to physically own the media, then control the rip quality myself, then keep the discs as future proof back up. Also renting will cost you multiples more in the long run! The music industry is expecting profits to double when just 10% of the population get into paying for premium rental services. No wonder this is being pushed on people!

Also I don't listen to the radio as I hate DJ jibber jabber.

Cutting it down to what I need... one click from any device logs anyone onto the Hi-Fi. In my case that means simply selecting "Meridian" from the Airplay on my Mac or Phone. I can play anything from my personal Lossless music collection, or anything from the internet if I wished. Or play DVDs into the Meridian DAC. Job jobbed.

advertisement

Back