Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] Rega Saturn R

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by mikebirtill, Aug 18, 2020.

1. mikebirtill

mikebirtill pfm Member

For sale, my rega saturn r cd player/dac. Boxed as new, with insured postage to a UK address £1050

2. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Have a bump for this lovely machine. First CD player I've ever owned that I've been totally happy with and have no desire to change.

mikebirtill likes this.
  3. Johnjo

Johnjo pfm Member

Agreed, great player.

mikebirtill likes this.
  4. mikebirtill

mikebirtill pfm Member

Thanks, it’s a lovely player in Excellent condition

5. Peter McDermott

Peter McDermott pfm Member

@mikebirtill would you be able to tell me the age of the player? Peter

6. mikebirtill

mikebirtill pfm Member

3 years old - but ive hardly used it

Peter McDermott and Javier like this.
  7. Javier

Javier New Member

Hi Mike
    Is this still available?
    Rgds
    Javier

8. mikebirtill

mikebirtill pfm Member

Yes it is!

9. Javier

Javier New Member

Hi Mike
    thanks PM for you

10. mikebirtill

mikebirtill pfm Member

This is still for sale £1000 posted to uk address

11. mikebirtill

mikebirtill pfm Member

Price drop £950 - posted to UK address.

12. Ewen1970

Ewen1970 The Ocean Doesn't Want Me

Couple of quick questions:-

Is this ok to send? Always worry about posting CD players and hear this is pretty heavy...

Am of half a mind to try one of these as a change to replace my CDS2/XPS. any thoughts of how they compare?

thanks

13. mikebirtill

mikebirtill pfm Member

It would be fine to post, but I may deliver depending on where you are. I haven’t heard the naim - the last naim cd I had was a 3.5/flat cap.

14. Ewen1970

Ewen1970 The Ocean Doesn't Want Me

Surrey/South London Borders. Never Croydon of course...

15. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I have done direct comparisons between the Saturn-R and CDX/XPS. Not a CDS2, which I think is a more sophisticated sound than the CDX, but maybe helpful?

The CDX sounds big, detailed and dynamic which I really liked. However the music just didn't gel together properly and there was little sense of space or air. It sounded very 'digital'. Impressive but it didn't draw you into the music. I tried everything to get it to work, different supports, cables etc. Couldn't get it to sound the way I wanted.

The Saturn is a very different animal. The easiest way to put it is that it sounds much more like a good turntable. It's a slightly softer sound than a typical CD player but it sounds right. Not as impressive at first hearing but you realize everything is still there and you're getting drawn into the music much more. In fact it's very hard to concentrate on the technical flaws for long because you keep forgetting about them and just enjoying the music.

It's also the first CD player I've ever owned that plays absolutely every CD. All of the other players I've had make some disks sound unlistenable. Naim players are among the worst for this. I always assumed it was just the disks that were terrible recordings and were not fixable. Then along comes the Rega and says 'Nope, I can get music out of that!'.

Will it sound better than a CDS2? To be honest, I doubt it. I'd like to hear the comparison though as I don't think it would be disgraced and might be surprising.

Ewen1970 and Simon s like this.
  16. mikebirtill

mikebirtill pfm Member

Christmas Bump. £900 posted to a UK address.

17. Big Tabs

Big Tabs “telling it like it isn’t...”

Hello

Is this c.d. player still for sale?

thank you.