advertisement

Rega Saturn MK3

Word is that a new Elicit is in the pipeline too. I bet it is a box with a similar button arrangement to the Aethos (and the Saturn r) and they will call it the Elicit mark 3. I’ll also wager that it’s innards will be exactly the same as the Elicit-r.

My prediction is therefore wrong, and I stand corrected. Pleased that it will not be another merely cosmetic change.

Surely whether on not a capacitor effects the sound will depend entirely on what job it is doing? I would imagine that most of the capacitors in a CD player will have nothing to do with the output stage.

I agree that freezing every day is not normal and it's a shame you didn't get it sorted out. Who knows why it happened.
All alimentation in an electronic circuit is very important. His quality I think has to be the best that can be implemented in the circuit. Above all it is very important in the DAC conversion section and also in the final output stage. On my ex Rega Saturn-R they were all Sam Young, also on the output stage the output capacitors were Sam Young. I would have preferred that all electrolytics implemented had been Nichicon Fine Gold. Sure there would
slightly different sounds.

Last edited:
Just ordered a Saturn Mk3, but it has to come from Toronto; none available in western Canada at the present time. Should arrive next week.
WRT the finger slots being in the wrong place, I completely disagree. The top lid is shaped as it is so that you reach in from the side (approximately a 45 deg angle) to change discs, and in doing so, the slots are in exactly the right place...
Can't wait to hear it!

WRT the finger slots being in the wrong place, I completely disagree.

As someone who's had a Saturn-R for years, let's wait until you actually have one! ;0) They're a pain and there is no reason they need to be like that. Someone with big hands or anything wrong with their hands would struggle to use the player at all.

the slots are in exactly the right place...

Having been using a Rega Isis for the last 8 years have to say i fully agree with this.

As an experiment try holding a glass , where do your fingers and thumb contact the glass ? At 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock or at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock ?

As someone who's had a Saturn-R for years, let's wait until you actually have one! ;0) They're a pain and there is no reason they need to be like that. Someone with big hands or anything wrong with their hands would struggle to use the player at all.

Sorry Mr Pig, but I have had a Saturn-R for many years, so speaking from experience…

I have been in possession of a new Saturn R for two weeks and it replaced an Apollo R. Really big improvement in sq and easy to use. Absolutely over the moon with it and sure you will be too. Hope you enjoy yours!

Thanks for that, I’m really looking forward to it…

Any updates 6 months on?

@rough edges , how did the 3 compare to the earlier model?

Has anyone else got a Saturn 3 and able to compare to earlier models?

As I said in another thread I've just swapped in a Saturn Mk1 for an Audio Note 2 box player while the DAC is being serviced and am really enjoying the music it plays. I'm wondering if the 3 would be an even better option - in a more than 4% better type of way.

Has anyone else got a Saturn 3 and able to compare to earlier models?

I've not heard it but from what I understand the Saturn-R and Saturn 3 are mostly the same inside so you're probably looking at a small difference.

The Saturn-R/3 is completely different to the older Saturn Mk1 and from what I've heard, better. The older player was renowned for having a very analogue sound. The current machine retains that but has better resolution etc. Plus the DAC functionality of course.

I telephoned Rega, and spoke to a guy there who told me that the Saturn 3 is a Saturn -r in a new box, and therefore no need to upgrade.
My dealer, however, said that no, there had been 'improvements'.
Because I preferred the look of the new Saturn 3, over the Saturn-r, and because it visually matched my Rega Aethos and Aria 3, and because I knew I could get a good trade in with my dealer, I took the plunge and got a Saturn 3, and my opinion is that it is 'improved' being more detailed, but just as musical, for a cd player, and indeed has been well reviewed as a 'new' model.

I telephoned Rega, and spoke to a guy there who told me that the Saturn 3 is a Saturn -r in a new box, and therefore no need to upgrade.

If that's what Rega said it will be true but they continuously improve all of their products. The newer one might well sound better simply because Rega have tightened up a few things.

Officially, there are only two versions of the Rega DAC, the DAC and DAC-R. However mine is in the longer case, so has to have the longer DAC-R board, and has the bigger mains socket etc but it's not remote control. If it was a Naim it would be an 'i' or something but Rega only change the name if there is a change in functionality or a major change in specification.

The newer one might well sound better simply because Rega have tightened up a few things.

My dealer, however, said that no, there had been 'improvements'.

Their web says something like redeveloped analogue & digital outputs, so maybe they have improved from /R ?

A reviewer tested the player said it sounded exactly like the /R. (even it was 6 or 8 years since he heard that old one)

Their web says something like redeveloped analogue & digital outputs, so maybe they have improved from /R ?

I don't know. It could be talking about advancements over the older version of the Saturn, pre SAturn-R, but I don't know.

advertisement

Back