advertisement

Rega RX5's - unfairly overlooked gems?

berty bass

pfm Member
Just wondering how many RX5 owners there might be amongst us. Following the 3 star What Hi Fi? review when they appeared I get the impression they may not go on many people's shortlist's when in the market for new speakers. I picked up a pair at a reduced price from my dealer recently though, after A/B-ing them against my previous Kudos X-2's, their smaller siblings, the RX3's and some ATC SMC19's, against all of which they compared favourably, giving me exactly the increase in scale of presentation and sound stage I was looking for. I think listeners may be missing out - I find myself feeling somewhat evangelical and can't help feeling they don't really get a fair crack of the whip compared to present 'go-to' recommendations. Anyone else had a similar experience with them? (No affiliation to Rega btw, simply a happy purchaser/owner.)

Just wondering how many RX5 owners there might be amongst us. Following the 3 star What Hi Fi? review when they appeared I get the impression they may not go on many people's shortlist's when in the market for new speakers. I picked up a pair at a reduced price from my dealer recently though, after A/B-ing them against my previous Kudos X-2's, their smaller siblings, the RX3's and some ATC SMC19's, against all of which they compared favourably, giving me exactly the increase in scale of presentation and sound stage I was looking for. I think listeners may be missing out - I find myself feeling somewhat evangelical and can't help feeling they don't really get a fair crack of the whip compared to present 'go-to' recommendations. Anyone else had a similar experience with them? (No affiliation to Rega btw, simply a happy purchaser/owner.)
I’ve not really listened much to Rega speakers beyond the ELA but I wouldn’t worry too much about a three star what HIFI review. The Linn Keilidhs got a three star review, they sold extremely well and even 18 years after they were discontinued, there are still thousands of pairs in use.

I regularly sell Rega speakers to people who listen rather than read WHF reviews.
I have a friend who more or less buys entirely on reviews. He’ll ask for my thoughts first, then he won’t even audition what I’ve suggested if it doesn’t have a five star review... then he comes back and bends my ear when things don’t sound as amazing as he expects based on those reviews. He’s always loved the sound of my setups but then says that the kit is too expensive or that it doesn’t have a five star review when I suggest he just buys the same as what I have. He’s wasted far more money than I have, bizarre logic.

Don't misunderstand - the review itself doesn't concern me (clearly, I ignored it after all). I simply appreciate that they are not entirely without influence and am simply wondering aloud whether a very decent product - to my ears - has suffered both in sales and reputation as a result, and whether it does actually have its champions (beyond me, I mean!).

Don't misunderstand - the review itself doesn't concern me (clearly, I ignored it after all). I simply appreciate that they are not entirely without influence and am simply wondering aloud whether a very decent product - to my ears - has suffered both in sales and reputation as a result, and whether it does actually have its champions (beyond me, I mean!).
It is likely a very decent product. Rega don’t tend to make duff products and they have a good pedigree with speakers. I own the original Ela Mk 1s. Lovely speakers.

The Rega speakers i heard back in the day were lacking in gravitas and very plain/boring sounding.

What Hi-Fi Is giving constantly 5 stars to Chord DACs and personally think that their presentation is too sterile. Remember that review is just one man opinion

The Rega speakers i heard back in the day were lacking in gravitas and very plain/boring sounding.
Which speakers were they. The Elas I own have a lovely midband and very nice treble. The bass is light but articulate. Classic speakers.

Which speakers were they. The Elas I own have a lovely midband and very nice treble. The bass is light but articulate. Classic speakers.

Crikey i think they were R1’s.
The amp was the brio which was equally unenergetic.
The Apollo cdp was cracking though!
I was helping a friend put a system together at a dealers.
Im not saying all their speakers sound like this but it has put me of ever trying Rega speakers since.

I thought you meant earlier speakers. I had an Apollo. Liked it but found the soundstage fairly flat. Use a vintage Rotel now and this has a tremendous soundstage.

I thought you meant earlier speakers. I had an Apollo. Liked it but found the soundstage fairly flat. Use a vintage Rotel now and this has a tremendous soundstage.

Nice, which Rotel are you using? What transport does it have?

[QUOTE="Curtis, post: 3561739, member: 5292"]Crikey i think they were R1’s.
The amp was the brio which was equally unenergetic.
The Apollo cdp was cracking though!

Exactly. I put the same system together and was amazed how bad it was. The CDP was the only component worth the price of admission.

I then combined a Marantz amp with some MA Silver Ones, hugely more informative and entertaining.

Not just me then Rusty.
Nice transport in that player Del, bet it doesn’t misbehave very often.

advertisement

Back