advertisement

Rega rumours - Anything to share?

Any more news on this? Bigger integrated amp perhaps? Any DACs and/or Linn DS-type products?

Nah, it was just a snippet from where I pinched the Ios pics. Just building on their current product range I'd guess, but I do recall RG saying something (Tone mag I think) about a break through in circuit design. Interesting times ahead for Rega buffs.

d

... from the "rega apheta" thread:

Looking forward to the launch of the new stuff.

d

I didnt want to hijack the other thread so if dave or anyone else has something to share I'd be intersted in hearing it!

I am especially curious as to how rega will handle the transition from CDs to server based music. Will they produce

a) "Linn DS" style products?

b) a stand alone DAC?

c) pre amps and integrated amps with DACs built in?

d) or will they just press their hands on their ears and make loud "lalalala" noises?

Samuel.

Knowing Rega it will be 'd'

Personally i have no need or interest in server based systems but still realise thats the way the majority seem to be going.
Obviously Rega will have to enter that area eventually. But just as they waited a very long while before getting into cd players , i can see them sitting and watching to see how the market develops before launching new products.

Then again there may be enough of us ostriches to keep them busy making turntables and cd players !

Michael.

D-
given rega's usual urge to jump on the latest techie bandwagon, they will probably realise that most people that want hard disc based music will use a computer of some flavour, rather than a hard drive limited audio server. They would then shrug their shoulders a little, and put a dac board into the amps.

They may of course do something off the wall, and market a small formfactor computer in a black plastic box, with a green logo, red leds, running on Essux. Essux being a Essex version of linux, the boot splash screen being a picture of ??

Essux being a Essex version of linux, the boot splash screen being a picture of ??

Is this the missing Essex splash screen? :D

Cortina-10.jpg

Rega know what they're about and IMO, are not likely to go down the server, download route because they are not going to be able to compete with all the cheapo stuff out there. Anyway, won't all this be provided by the computer or phone and any gizmo's will be just a download away ?

I know nothing about the above as I am still firmly in the 'analogue' age, so if I'm wrong please don't shout.

Talking with Rega on Monday I learnt that (for them) all things analogue have seen a tenfold increase and they are just about managing to keep on top with production. In this case, I can't see them giving up turntables just yet. :D

Rega know what they're about and IMO, are not likely to go down the server, download route because they are not going to be able to compete with all the cheapo stuff out there. Anyway, won't all this be provided by the computer or phone and any gizmo's will be just a download away ?

I know nothing about the above as I am still firmly in the 'analogue' age, so if I'm wrong please don't shout.

Talking with Rega on Monday I learnt that (for them) all things analogue have seen a tenfold increase and they are just about managing to keep on top with production. In this case, I can't see them giving up turntables just yet. :D

I hope not, I'm still saving for a P9

D-
given rega's usual urge to jump on the latest techie bandwagon, they will probably realise that most people that want hard disc based music will use a computer of some flavour, rather than a hard drive limited audio server. They would then shrug their shoulders a little, and put a dac board into the amps.

I would tend to agree.

For a company nowadays, there is either a hard way to react to server based music by producing a Linn DS type product, or an easy way by just putting DACs into their pre and integrated amps (or by producing a stand-alone DAC or a CDP with a digital-in), so people can connect their squeezeboxes etc.

For a relatively small company like rega (smaller than linn and naim? - I think so) a DS-type product is probably too difficult to develop.

Samuel.

The old IO was a pretty fair DAC back in the day and didn't just work with the old Jupiter transport I found. I doubt it would take much to either make a new one or incorporate a DAC board into a Cursa style product and I'm sure Rega have the design expertise to do this one day.

The phono stage then could be a dedicated external unit (as they have now..)

Any word on new Rega Amps?

Sounds like they are pushing the elicit pretty hard, and think that it's supposed to be better than the rega maia/cursa. However, from talking to a few dealers they haven't sold a single Rega Elicit. Ever.

There was a sale on the Mira3 and Brios too.

Just wondering what's cooking.

Well, I have sold some Elicit amps. Not many but there really hasn't been a lot of publicity for it.

As for the Brio, it's no secret that a new model in the half size case will be with us soon. More expensive than the current model it will have a built in phono stage and remote. Scheduled for 'April' delivery but then the DAC was 8 months late..:rolleyes:

Well, I have sold some Elicit amps. Not many but there really hasn't been a lot of publicity for it.

As for the Brio, it's no secret that a new model in the half size case will be with us soon. More expensive than the current model it will have a built in phono stage and remote. Scheduled for 'April' delivery but then the DAC was 8 months late..:rolleyes:

what do you recommend? The elicit or the cursa/maia?

what do you recommend? The elicit or the cursa/maia?

Cursa/Maia definitively... this setup is a "little warmer" than Elicit and sounds "more relaxed"... of course it is obvious that a Pre/Power combination is more flexible at upgrade times...:D On image, soundstage and detail department... it is almost the same... on "PRaT"... hmmm... maybe the Elicit has a slight advantage.:)

advertisement

Back