advertisement

Rega RS3 speakers

the 'older' rs3 (a 'la r3) feet casings were kinda rectangular-shaped and had an open profile, while now they're in a bell-like guise per rega's site (check the link above)

feet look nicer (but i prefer the ones on my r7's to the one's on my 3's)
The product revision comprises of all new restyled feet to complement the elegance of the speaker cabinet, and a new flush fitting side grille which offers greater intergrity to the design of the product.

old
regaRS3.gif

new
RS3-NEW.gif

Sorry, it's the attention span. Were not the R3's the predecessors of the RS3's. Whatever! Not sure if I like the look of the new feet (I've got the old ones-bugger sold old stock) but I chose them and was happy with the appearance at the time. I don't suppose the new feet have any sonic benefits over the old ones.

Ron, if you're still using the A60, lovely though it was for the 1970s, I suspect a Rega Mira or similar will show you what the RS3s really sound like. Did you try the RS5's by the way?

Thanks Rupert. You are of course right that I ought to be thinking about upgrading the A60 and I'm sure the Rega amp would work well. I'll have to arrange an audition. I've kept the A60 for sentimental reasons, because it was purchased from new with the money received when I cashed in my pension fund in my first job before I left and went to college (how irresponsible I was then!) I have, however, had it overhauled by Arcam, whereby they replaced a number of parts and it definitely sounded a magnitude better on its return. I picked the RS3's for the wrong reason (appearance), to fit discreetly in my lounge, but was pleasantly surprised by their sound when I auditioned them, but yes I'll try a Mira, I'm sure it will sound better. Thanks.

ps. Also the RS3's were offered at a great price. Didn't see (or hear) the RS5's but I suspect they would have been too big for the room.

I prefer the look of the old ones - more in keeping with the rest of the cabinet. Also it looks like you could adjust the old ones from the top.

Andrew

I prefer the look of the old ones - more in keeping with the rest of the cabinet. Also it looks like you could adjust the old ones from the top.

Andrew

re: look of ol' rs3 feet - agreed, a better visual match :)

however, you can't reach the threaded spikes from the above with neither versions as there is a little cast cylinder on them with the RS series, and a big one with the 'RS2' models

Ron, if you're still using the A60, lovely though it was for the 1970s, I suspect a Rega Mira or similar will show you what the RS3s really sound like. Did you try the RS5's by the way?

i have tried the rs3s in my room (after having purchased the rs5s, just to make sure i decided right) and i still prefer the bigger bros in spite my room measures as 3.5x4.9m 'only'. the rs5s have better resolution and are weightier than their smaller siblings with nothing sacrificed sonics-wise.

however, this new rs series floorstanders are more room-sensitive than any earlier Rega floorstanders were (i owned all) mainly with respect to side wall distance. in my room the rs5s work best at 66cms from the side walls (outer speaker edges).

also, i run the rs5s with an ol' 12-watter Audio Innovations Series 400 valve amp and the combination makes pure magic :)

still not finding the RS3's too bassy in a small to medium bedroom (they'll be going into the lounge when I convince her of their beauty) and still got the bass/midranges pointing inwards. Also I've decided that the old (square) feet look better than those new bullet feet, so I'm not changing!

Just to mention, I had a tweaky afternoon yesterday and tried drivers out again. The difference was not subtle and makes for a very interesting change. A bit less PRaT, but much better mids and sense of scale than I remembered. Perhaps the change to a 72/140 from a Nait has had an effect.

I'm now an 'outie'...

I like mine, very much. With Naim CD5/Rega P1/32.5/110 system, wonderfully rounded and balanced.

In my room - 11 x 18, fairly hard finished, drivers out are clearly better.

Update:
Auditioned the Mira 3 against the A60 at the Audio Room at Hedon and you were right. The A60 sounded harsh by comparison, the rega sounding more refined and musical, more powerful and more in control of the speakers. Bought it immediately (at the nice reduced price) and am enjoying trawling through my vinyl and cd's. Thanks Rupert.

Hi.

I'm wondering can the rs3 be placed on small stands?

I've got a bit of a problem were an item of furniture might be partly blocking the right hand speaker as it's only a small front room. Jigging about the furniture might make things better but until I get the rs3's I can't be certain.

If I could place the rs3's on small stands that might be a solution.

I can't see any reason why not.

You could cobble something together as a temporary measure to see if it has the desired effect. A pile of bricks or brieze-blocks should do the trick.

Hi.

I'm wondering can the rs3 be placed on small stands?

I've got a bit of a problem were an item on furniture might be partly blocking the right hand speaker as it's only a small front room. Jigging about the furniture might make things better but until I get the rs3's I can't be certain.

If I could place the rs3's on small stands that might be a solution.

Depending on actual size of room and personal taste , you may get better results with a pair of RS1s on decent stands.

The lack of bass is worrying me with regards to the rs1's. I got a sweet deal on a pair of rs3's and want to give them a go.

advertisement

Back