advertisement

Rega RP3: small step or big leap?

JustJohn

pfm Member
I have been experiencing pangs of regret since selling my lovely gloss-blue Rega P3-24 earlier this year. It made way for an LP12, which, despite its many qualities, I could not get on with. Then came a rather gorgeous walnut Systemdek IIX, which looks great and sounds great, but just doesn't involve me like the Rega did.

So I'm keeping an eye out for a pre-loved Rega RP3 (I'm starting think to white one looks rather natty). But there has been surprisingly little on PFM about the RP3. Has anybody who has heard also had experience of the P3-24? How do they compare? Better? A small step or a big leap?

Thanks

It's a fair bit better - with the money in your hand there is no way you would consider buying the P3-24 over the RP3.

As to finding a "pre loved RP3" - it hasn't been on the market for long, so it's a bit early.

Thanks, Dave.

You're right, I have seen very few pre-owned for sale. Perhaps everybody who has bought one is delighted. In which case I may just have to plump for a new one.

Has anybody who has heard also had experience of the P3-24? How do they compare? Better? A small step or a big leap?

I own a P3-24 and have heard an RP3 but not done a side-by-side. I have however done this with the old vs new TTPSU, and the new one is definitely better, so I'm now using one on a P3-24 to great effect, as well as a white belt. This could save you some dosh.

The real step up for the Regas is the new RP6 which is a pretty good record player at its price and significantly better than the 3s.

I also could not gel with the linn lp12 and moved to the rp6 which I really love so I think you would definately like the rp3

Would be quite interested to hear what this latest range of Rega stuff is doing. With regards to the old Planar 3, I was staggered at the improvement wrought on my dad's deck when I plugged it into the Pro-Ject Speedbox SE power supply I had at the time. It breathed new life into the deck, and went a long way to curing (or at least reducing to a more acceptable level) its slightly wayward pitch stability.

German mags rate the RP3 a bit better than the P3-24 - stereoplay.de if I remember correctly.

The real step up for the Regas is the new RP6 which is a pretty good record player at its price and significantly better than the 3s.

You're not wrong there, mate.

What the latest range seems to be doing is getting the smallest bits of information off the vinyl in a way Rega haven't quite managed before - very precise but very fluid sounds.

advertisement

Back