advertisement

Rega RP10 or Technics SL1200G - which should I buy?

...Or alternatively, why not buy loads of records from genres you don't usually listen to and see if you can find something new you like! Of course along with this, several cases of wine to ease you into the new listening.....

Best advice so far. ;)

Changing the arm on the technics is not a simple affair and requires a bespoke arm board, Rega ones are quite common but not seen many for modern SME arms. On the original 1200, you need to cut away some of the rubber base for the new tonearm cable, and there are a lot of screws to be undone and redone. I wouldn't want to do that to 1200G! And I have a feeling the improvement will be minimal if anything.

Any chance you can swap the SME tonearm (V, I assume) to the Technics to see if that narrows the gap?

l have an SME V on my tweaked Techie ( not the new one l hasten to add) and the improvement in sound was dramatic ( so it should be)and the bass is superb- on the other hand talking of solidity- l recently purchased a Project Phono Box RS phono stage and this seemed to solidify the sound of my Gyro and Techie alike- this record playing thing is fun.

Changing the arm on the technics is not a simple affair and requires a bespoke arm board, Rega ones are quite common but not seen many for modern SME arms. On the original 1200, you need to cut away some of the rubber base for the new tonearm cable, and there are a lot of screws to be undone and redone. I wouldn't want to do that to 1200G! And I have a feeling the improvement will be minimal if anything.

On the 1200G, you simply have to unscrew it from underneath after you've removed the bottom cover. There is no cutting necessary. You do, however, have to buy a mount for the SME. I think this would work: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=152785765075

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
l have an SME V on my tweaked Techie ( not the new one l hasten to add) and the improvement in sound was dramatic ( so it should be)and the bass is superb- on the other hand talking of solidity- l recently purchased a Project Phono Box RS phono stage and this seemed to solidify the sound of my Gyro and Techie alike- this record playing thing is fun.
Reading this thread with interest.
So how do the Gyro and technics compare for you please?

The SL12**'s issue with VTA and non-standard headshells is quite well-documented. As one example, the Sumiko HS-12 (a popular 'shell upgrade) has its mounting surface at a different height relative to the Technics shell and makes correct VTA impossible (or at least difficult) with just about any cartridge. You can just about get away with it when using the std platter mat, but with an Achromat it just doesn't work as the mat's not thick enough.

I actually quite like the Technics standard arm - IME it's quite a capable device and beautifully engineered, the only issue is the VTA one but it's not insurmountable.

I'm using a AT33PTG on my 1200G, this is only 16mm in height but a 3mm carbon spacer easily solved the VTA issue.

Achromat is thicker than the standard Technics mat, it's 5mm it should make the VTA easier, not worse?

Dealers won't want you buying the SL1200G as the profit margin in REGA is much better, I know, I worked for a dealer for 7 years. Still got some trade price lists on my PC (accidentally got burned onto a cdr before I left!) they are a few years out of date but the margins are still the same now.

I ordered a Tiger Paw Vulcan a few days ago and in the box by accident was a trade price list, interesting reading!

Well, true to their word, Richer Sounds delivered it today, bang in the middle of the one hour slot they promised. You cant be sniffy about RS, seriously good service.

Its been running for an hour. First impressions:

The bad.
1- It failed the WAF test. She is not impressed with the look compared to the Gyro / SME.
2- I don't like the arm. Compared to the SME its a bit toy like. The arm height adjustment is too high at its lowest setting. I cant get my Lyra Dorian to ride flat at the back, I've had to add a Funk Firm Achromat to add a bit of height to the platter. I'll try my Rohmann later, its a lot deeper.

The Good.
1- It is hewn from a single billet of seriously heavy stuff! It might look little compared to the Gyro but it is an engineering marvel.
2- It sounds amazing out of the box just plonked on a coffee table. Not just saying that, I put no effort at all into setting it up and it is significantly better than anticipated. Just rock solid and confident. I was expecting a small soundstage compered to the Gyro, but its big and bold. Lots of playing and fettling to do now...

The wife will grow to love, I am quite sure I will!

There is a bit of an illusion going on with the s shaped arm I find. It can actually be level when to the eye it doesnt appear to be. Try and line it up with a ruler at the back of the arm across an old record you don't care about. I'm sure the Lyra is more than 17mm and the arm starts from 0 which is 17 but will actually go back to about -0.7ish, it should be okay. Line up the arm tube rather than the headhsell as the heashell is a bit of an oddshape!

In the interest of full disclosure, I’ll post my final impressions. I have overindulged my vinyl fetish this week and I’ll be abstaining for a few days o_O

I’ll use a football analogy this time. On Monday the Gyro was 5-1 down at half time and struggling. The final whistle has blown and the its ended 5-3 with the Gyro hitting the bar and having a goal disallowed in injury time!

The Gyro pulled back when I started listening to high quality and sparsely recorded albums. Steely Dan, Alan Parsons, etc. The Technics applies the same no-nonsense approach whereas the Gyro adds atmosphere, space and scale. I’d go as far as to say that you could impress your friends more with the Gyro if you stick to the right material.

So, IMO, the Technics is a solid and dependable 8.5/10 across the board, the Gyro moves between 6/10 and occasionally reaches 9/10.

I achieved my goal of having two competent but fundamentally different decks.

Can I ask what stage you upgraded from and if you bought the Project PSU?

I have got a Gyro with a Trichord Dino/NCPSU and am constantly tempted by the Project!

Sorry for the OT!

In the interest of full disclosure, I’ll post my final impressions. I have overindulged my vinyl fetish this week and I’ll be abstaining for a few days o_O

I’ll use a football analogy this time. On Monday the Gyro was 5-1 down at half time and struggling. The final whistle has blown and the its ended 5-3 with the Gyro hitting the bar and having a goal disallowed in injury time!

The Gyro pulled back when I started listening to high quality and sparsely recorded albums. Steely Dan, Alan Parsons, etc. The Technics applies the same no-nonsense approach whereas the Gyro adds atmosphere, space and scale. I’d go as far as to say that you could impress your friends more with the Gyro if you stick to the right material.

So, IMO, the Technics is a solid and dependable 8.5/10 across the board, the Gyro moves between 6/10 and occasionally reaches 9/10.

That's about what I've read elsewhere...all that stability is great for some sound engineering, but other performances/recordings do better with some 'life' I doubt there is such a thing as a perfect all rounder if your musical tastes are eclectic, possibly the only realsitic course to be to buy a neutral deck, three arms and three cartidges all mounted and ready. Wonder what your third will be...maybe a Rega 3 with dynavector10? Nice cheap way into some bounce and fizz? :)

Like me, an LP12 and an SL1200G! Can't play 78's on my LP12 very well either!

Reading this thread with interest.
So how do the Gyro and technics compare for you please?

Depends on what sound you like l suppose-

Gyro SE/ HR PSU/Orbe clamp/Audionote Arm 1/ Hana SL- Very refined, smooth, musical with a big open sound which is very dynamic.

Technics SL1200 MK2/SME V/ Denon DL103/Art Q damper- Oyaide mat and weight/ Isonoe feet- great driving bass- not as clean sounding as the Gyro- however very listenable indeed, separation a tad better a very involving sound.

Gyro is used more both T/T's played through a Project Phono Box RS.

Can I ask what stage you upgraded from and if you bought the Project PSU?

I have got a Gyro with a Trichord Dino/NCPSU and am constantly tempted by the Project!

Sorry for the OT!

l upgraded to the Project from a Trichord Dino with the + PSU and they are two VERY different sounding phono stages indeed- love the Project, very, very nice stage indeed, an all day listen, and upgradeable too.

So I heard an RP10 tonight and I think at list price I really would have to listen to it and the 1200G side by side with the same cart...good thing for Mike Mr. Richer made it easier with £500 off :D

advertisement

Back