advertisement

Rega RP10/Aphelion or P10/Apheta3

Would you buy Rega RP10/Aphelion or P10/Apheta3

• Total voters
There often seems to be little coherence and consistency to their design.

There seems to be an emerging style to the new casework (which I like very much) of the new baby Io amplifier, P10 PSU and Aethos reference amplifier (I know it has huge heatsinks) which I think might work it's way into further designs.

Last edited:
There seems to be an emerging style to the new casework of the new baby Io amplifier, P10 PSU and Aethos reference amplifier..

It does look better and, importantly, is a style that can be fashioned in both plastic and alloy. A nice step in the right direction I think.

I think they Rega chose not to laminate over the foam so as to keep the weight down.

Yes, but it's also hard to do. The RP8/10 have plastic edging covering the sides of the outer plinth. I don't know how they did but I'm struggling to see a way to fix that on that will be robust.

And those are fairly simple straight strips. To put edging on the curves of the P10 would be a lot more challenging and to be honest, I really don't know that the deck needs it. It's not a pipe and slippers, wood veneered record player. It's a minimalist, performance fist design and anyone who buys into that isn't likely to be too phased by the visible foam.

The Aria and Aura also have the new design, which I hope they keep for a decent period (10 years?) before changing again.

I actually looked into trading my mk2 Aria in for a Mk3 to match my amp and PSU, but it was silly money to pay for exactly the same internals. I’ll bide my time until I can afford the Aura!

I wen't from the RP8/Apheta I combo, to the P8/Apheta II combo, and it's almost like night/day (though i hate that term used for Audio, but anyways). Some even claimed that the new P8 is better than the old RP10, so there u have it. If money is no object, then i would buy the P10 as an "end-game" TT. I think i will then be ok with the newer Apheta III, which in fact are the same "needle" as the Aphelion, but with another material for the body itself. Havne't heard the Apheta III, but from what iv'e heard, it's a freakin' bargain. If i can afford it, in the near future, i will settle on the P10 and be a happy owner for life.

Some even claimed that the new P8 is better than the old RP10, so there u have it.

I heard a lot about this. They seem to be about equal but trading punches. The P8 is more full bodies and warm sounding while the RP10 is cleaner, more dynamic and detailed. No matter how you cut it, it does make the P8 a bargain at just over half the price of the RP10.

By supersede I meant the replacement for the P10, just as the P10 replaced the RP10. Similar cost but with innovative performance improvements. Someone mentioned a P12, so perhaps the P10 will be around for many years...

They start somewhere, previous generation RP1 were replaced with P1 (which currently now looking to change the bling gloss black to matte black - welcomed I'd say)

They start somewhere, previous generation RP1 were replaced with P1 (which currently now looking to change the bling gloss black to matte black - welcomed I'd say)
Not a fan of gloss finishes period.

It’ll be interesting to see if they replace the P10 with P12. I’m pretty sure it will happen but I also think it’s a few years away as the P10 is selling really well at its price point and there is always a danger in replacing your top end products too quickly. Customers quite often postpone a purchase as they know it will be replaced.

advertisement

Back