advertisement

Rega round table chat

Or just do something different to everyone else and worry about trying to explain why later, once you have had time to come up with some good answers

Or just do something different to everyone else and worry about trying to explain why later, once you have had time to come up with some good answers
There is always more than one way to solve an engineering problem - some have more logic than others though and Rega's is reasonably sound.

Wobbly springs that only really act in one plane of motion is less logical…….but it can still sound good? Try and figure it all out if you can !

Rega are firstly and foremostly proper engineers who approach hifi as a set of engineering problems that need solutions based on science. Many of their competitors are less focused in this regard and tend towards some solutions not fully rooted in sound engineering principles. All IMO of course.

Great interview.

PS FWIW I view Rega as being up there with say Walker-era Quad in having a remarkably consistent yet highly individual engineering-led vision of audio. One of very few brands I’d mention in that company. Roy had a really good idea in 1973 and has refined and developed it ever since. No flip-flopping over the map following trends, no hype, no nostalgia, just one coherent vision that grew into a full product portfolio with research and development over many decades. I like the way you can look at their current speakers and tell they were designed by the company that designed the turntables as the underlying logic is so consistent.

Thanks Robert. :) I've not watched it all yet but the most impotant comment he makes for me is about listening to the performance in the recorded music. Neat is another brand with similar ethos, I think. It's no suprise that I like both of them.

advertisement

Back