advertisement

rega rega rega

Rockmeister

pfm Member
are on my shortlist for a new deck. Glad to hear from owners of the 6 or 8 on their merits. In particular, I think i know that the arms have no height adjustment to ease the fitting other make cartridges? And how do Rega cartridges compare for value alongside the likes of Ortofon, Hana etc.

Height adjustment is a none issue. For one thing, it isn't as though one need adjust height more than once per phono cartridge changeout. Regardless, even if one were intent upon compensating for a 2mm height difference between any two cartridges, the result will be a net change in VTA of circa 0.5º (to be precise, 0.475º with a circa 9.5" effective length).

Height adjustment is a none issue. For one thing, it isn't as though one need adjust height more than once per phono cartridge changeout. Regardless, even if one were intent upon compensating for a 2mm height difference between any two cartridges, the result will be a net change in VTA of circa 0.5º (to be precise, 0.475º with a circa 9.5" effective length).
It’s often more than 2mm, and in any case, I recall a cadenza black that was fussy about 0.5 of a mm, so it is an issue for those who like to swap about.

It’s often more than 2mm, and in any case, I recall a cadenza black that was fussy about 0.5 of a mm, so it is an issue for those who like to swap about.
Swapping about is fine.

Regardless, as we are on the subject of Rega decks, their own published research long ago indicated that a ±0.1g change in VTF will alter VTA by circa ±1.5º. That's 3x more effect relative to a 2mm arm height change at the same VTF.

BTW, I use 2mm as reference here as this is what is available from Rega these days. I have an old 4mm single hole mount stainless spacer here, came in handy when mounting RB300/250 on other than Rega decks. Not so much for the 1º VTA change (0.95º in fact), but to keep the back end of the cartridge (arm tube even) well clear of the record.

Last edited:
Spherical stylus no problem
Advanced Styli Eg Line contact adjustable VTA/Azimuth/Zenith is critical spacers/shims are not enough
Basic feature on millions of TTs for 50years

Fit a better cartridge to my rega gives 381,000.000 results on google

AT-PL120_adj_063_colorANNO_8x10.jpg

Spherical stylus no problem Advanced Styli Eg Line contact adjustable VTA/Azimuth/Zenith is critical spacers/shims are not enough. Basic feature on millions of TTs for 50years

Yet despite clearly knowing nothing about tonearm design, Rega have produced the best selling tonearms on the planet for forty of those last fifty years! Riddle me that one Batman?

Yet despite clearly knowing nothing about tonearm design, Rega have produced the best selling tonearms on the planet for forty of those last fifty years! Riddle me that one Batman?
Rega best selling arms with fixed geometry
Best selling tonearms ( with Azimuth & VTA adjustment ) and none fitted with a Rega cartridge
SL1200 Over 3 million & best selling piece of Hifi in history
Project over 2 million , Debut model sold 1million
SME Tonearms Over One Million Tonearms Sold Worldwide In 1959

Rega best selling arms with fixed geometry
Best selling tonearms ( with Azimuth & VTA adjustment ) and none fitted with a Rega cartridge
SL1200 Over 3 million & best selling piece of Hifi in history
Project over 2 million , Debut model sold 1million
SME Tonearms Over One Million Tonearms Sold Worldwide In 1959

Must be down to massive marketing as its a crap turntable

Chaps. I wish I hadn't asked. Anyone got anything useful to say with regards to the OP? I guess shims may be answer if ones cartridge of choice is shallower than a Rega? Or maybe the arm base can be lifted via a plate?
On cartridges, if i get the 6 I was thinking a Hana SL....if the 8 maybe the ML? Is there a Rega equivalent?
Or any other thoughts please?
Thanks

I guess shims may be answer if ones cartridge of choice is shallower than a Rega?

If you're going to run a taller cartridge on a Rega turntable then by all means, fit a shim. Having done it many times though, I can tell you that it makes little difference.

You do have to watch the lid clearance though depending on which counterweight you have. Rega lids are the same height they have always been, Rega arms are the same height they have always been but thanks to the brace they now fit they sit 2mm higher. Add a shim and the lid can hit the counterweight.

Must be down to massive marketing as its a crap turntable

EISA is the unique association of 59 special interest magazines and websites from 30 countries. Internationally known for the Expert Imaging and Sound Awards, EISA

EISA-Award-Pro-Ject-Debut-PRO.png

Launched to celebrate the company’s 30th anniversary, this very refined version of Pro-Ject’s entry-level turntable comes with a raft of improvements, not least of which is a new one-piece alloy/carbon fibre tonearm. The platter is now more heavily damped and non-magnetic, the suspension of both arm and motor have been enhanced, and a new Pick it Pro cartridge comes pre-fitted for near instant set-up and use. Described as ‘the ultimate expression of the Debut concept’, it sounds assured and involving – it’s an absolute knock-out, and a new champion for the entry level.

Chaps. I wish I hadn't asked. Anyone got anything useful to say with regards to the OP? I guess shims may be answer if ones cartridge of choice is shallower than a Rega? Or maybe the arm base can be lifted via a plate?
On cartridges, if i get the 6 I was thinking a Hana SL....if the 8 maybe the ML? Is there a Rega equivalent?
Thanks
EISA is the unique association of 59 special interest magazines and websites from 30 countries. Internationally known for the Expert Imaging and Sound Awards, EISA

EISA-Award-Pro-Ject-Debut-PRO.png

Launched to celebrate the company’s 30th anniversary, this very refined version of Pro-Ject’s entry-level turntable comes with a raft of improvements, not least of which is a new one-piece alloy/carbon fibre tonearm. The platter is now more heavily damped and non-magnetic, the suspension of both arm and motor have been enhanced, and a new Pick it Pro cartridge comes pre-fitted for near instant set-up and use. Described as ‘the ultimate expression of the Debut concept’, it sounds assured and involving – it’s an absolute knock-out, and a new champion for the entry level.

That's a no then is it? :)

are on my shortlist for a new deck. Glad to hear from owners of the 6 or 8 on their merits. In particular, I think i know that the arms have no height adjustment to ease the fitting other make cartridges? And how do Rega cartridges compare for value alongside the likes of Ortofon, Hana etc.
FWIW if you intend swapping and experimenting with different carts a H-4 Bayonet SME type headshell makes it dead simple and I'd consider a Technics/Pioneer deck or SME type arm like a Jelco on a deck. If you don't intend swapping carts until worn out I wouldn't fret, a Rega arm and a shim/spacer if needed does the business, if you buy new the dealer does it all anyway.

Whether or not you believe in vertical tracking angle issues, it is still sometimes necessary to raise the arm for some cartridges, just to keep the back of the cartridge body from bumping the record surface. Particularly MC cartridges.

Interesting, though, that no one ever uses Rega cartridges outside of the Rega ecosystem...

EISA is the unique association of 59 special interest magazines and websites from 30 countries...

I gave up reading Hi-Fi magazines years ago because the only ones which survive are the ones which are in manufacturers pockets. Advertising is what keeps them alive and if you're paying a magazine you damn well better get good reviews. ProJect are huge and carry massive clout in the industry. They're not getting crap reviews.

New budget turntables are generally not released every year but they do need to give out an award every year so... everyone's a winner!

Don't you think it might have been a good idea to make the platter non-magnetic to begin with? You know, so that it doesn't pull a MM cartridge towards it? And since when if £700 'entry level'? That's more than a Planar3, which is three up from the bottom of the range and has a one-piece cast alloy tonearm.

I know Rega turntables are better built, sound better, carry a lifetime warranty and are made in the UK and hold their value better. So give me one good reason why I would want a Project?

FWIW if you intend swapping and experimenting with different carts a H-4 Bayonet SME type headshell makes it dead simple and I'd consider a Technics/Pioneer deck or SME type arm like a Jelco on a deck. If you don't intend swapping carts until worn out I wouldn't fret, a Rega arm and a shim/spacer if needed does the business, if you buy new the dealer does it all anyway.
I know. Its 50 years since i started this stuff, really i was interested in how owners cope, but maybe Rega owners don't trade around much. The decks have to be on a shortlist if you read reviews, but my other choices (Thorens/Project/Technics/Clearaudio and a few more) do seem to think more about HiFi users, and less about 'a package'.

Interesting, though, that no one ever uses Rega cartridges outside of the Rega ecosystem...

I think that, generally speaking, Rega cartridges are not as good as other cartridges at their price points. That's the vibe I get whenever I've looked into them. 'Yeah, X is good but for the same money you could buy Y which is better'. It doesn't mean the carts are bad and to be fair, like Linn, Rega are not very interested in how their components match up with those of other manufacturers. They see themselves as supplying 'systems' and have never made concessions towards using their carts on other turntables. For example the three-point fixing that only fits on a Rega arm.

Having said that, I have used the Exact on an LP12 and it's an outstanding cartridge which does things few carts at any price get right. If it looked less like a jelly baby and was pushed more it could and should be more popular.

I know. Its 50 years since i started this stuff, really i was interested in how owners cope, but maybe Rega owners don't trade around much. The decks have to be on a shortlist if you read reviews, but my other choices (Thorens/Project/Technics/Clearaudio and a few more) do seem to think more about HiFi users, and less about 'a package'.
I’ve had Rega arms for decades but rarely swapped the cart on them, it’s been a case of when necessary rather than for fun or on a whim. I’ve never got on with Rega decks and carts so can’t add anything worthwhile. I can say the new Technics decks are very good and would be my choice from the alternatives you’ve listed.

I’ve never got on with Rega decks and carts so can’t add anything worthwhile. I can say the new Technics decks are very good and would be my choice from the alternatives you’ve listed.

Everyone who buys one of those Technics decks seems to be happy with it. I've never heard one but I'd like to. Not much incentive now though as I'm back with an LP12 which gets to the heart of the music in a way I love so no desire to rock the boat.

Thanks

The shims aren't that great of an obstacle if you like the turntable. Can't comment directly on the P8 but I bought an RP8 when they were closing them out, and have been very happy with it.

advertisement

Back