advertisement

Rega RB330 removal.

mikegreenwood

pfm Member
Looks to be a simple job but has anyone removed the arm from a Rega P3 turntable.
Seem to be 3 screws on the arm and a clamp underneath.
Any nasties that may be encountered ?

There is a cable clamp underneath the deck. Remove that and then take the three screws out. That's it.

When you realize it was a bad idea and put it back the torque of the screws is 2Nm. ;0)

I don't know anything about Rega arm fixing, post RB300. Do the screws go right through the deck? Can you fit an RB300 to plinths drilled for the screwed arms? Does the Rega cartridge torque wrench work for tightenening the screws?

Another thing to consider is the material that the screws thread into, and how well those threads stand up to repeated removal/replacement of said screws.

Yes, just need to find one with good wiring and a sorted bias.

They are nice arms. If the bias belt is original and in one piece, I doubt it will be for long! You either want one with the belt already replaced or buy a bust one and replace the belt yourself. The belts only cost £14. Fitting it is tricky but if you have steady hands and a bit of common sense it's really not too bad a job.

The good thing about them is that the whole arm is held together with screws so if you need to rewire it you can.

Nice, fluid sound. Would I replace a modern Rega with one? No. ;0)

I could fit the 330 into a Perspex turntable I have. Maybe machine screws with the correct head would be better.
ie.Clearance holes in the plinth with machine bolts and nut. No damage to the arm and able to re-use the 330.

Another thing to consider is the material that the screws thread into, and how well those threads stand up to repeated removal/replacement of said screws.
Some wooden plinths are made of particle board like mine, and others are MDF - is that right? How are the arms mounted to the foam core plinths?

I’d have expected machine screws threaded into countersunk nuts or something.

So! Are the screws wood screws or machine screws? Waiting for my Amp to come back from Naim hence not in a rush. Just forwarded is for armed.

So! Are the screws wood screws or machine screws? Waiting for my Amp to come back from Naim hence not in a rush. Just forwarded is for armed.
As supplied, they are countersinking wood screws.

You'll be wanting the Rega 'Three point fixing tonearm mounting data guide and cartridge alignment protractor' that comes with the tonearms when sold individually, as the turntables typically come with a 'Cartridge Alignment Protractor' card alone.

yes

Thanks Craig, As they say one picture is worth a thousand words, clearly they are wood screws. I have cartridge alignment items so remounting should be straight forward. Again many thanks for the itemised picture.

advertisement

Back