advertisement

Rega RB202/Carbon

wylton

Naim and Mana member
I have a Stanton ST.150 direct drive DJ deck. I dumped the original arm, because it was a very poor piece of engineering. I modified the deck so that I could fit a different arm & ended up with a Rega RB202/Carbon. It recently dropped a channel, which turned out to be a short in the external cable. I sent it to j7/Audio Origami & he fitted a new Rega external cable (the thicker upgrade cable). I refitted the cartridge this morning and set it up on the deck & I have to say, I'm really impressed given the low price of this combination! The deck sits proudly alongside the Michell Hydraulic Reference/Aro, Lenco 88/Zeta, Garrard 401/Aro. It's encouraging to know that if my financial fortunes fail, then good sound quality can still be achieved at a lower price!

Rega tonearms are such ridiculously good value it seems almost obtuse to bother with anything else.

Is there a standout and how do you decide which one to play?

The Stanton was purchased mostly to play old 7"45's, but it sounds good on all records. Regarding the Michell, Lenco & Garrard, they get used pretty much equally & they all sound good. I don't know if I have a favourite, but the Michell/Aro/XX2MkII is a lovely looking & sounding turntable.

It’s a shame the Rega Arm is such a ‘plain Jane’.

j7 can work wonders cosmetically & there are a few tricks to soup them up, but you do have to be careful that you don't spoil the sound. They tend to be on the grey side sound wise; I remember that @Mr Pig used to take the paint off his, which livens them up a bit, which IMHO is the way to go rather than over damping them. The Audiomods classic arm is tuned in this direction for instance.

It’s a shame the Rega Arm is such a ‘plain Jane’.

rb10-8_865_2.jpg

advertisement

Back