advertisement

rega r3/r5 vs. rs3/rs5

John, they're about 18 inches out. They work damn well though, and I auditioned a lot of other (and slightly more expensive) speakers like DB1s before I bought them.

Tim, how far is "right out from the back"? Two or three feet?

Pete, never been to Connemarra (glad I could copy your spelling of that) or Manchester come to think of it.

I think I spelt the Irish one wrong.

I tried the rega's with the side drivers facing outwards towards the wall and it lessened the bass if I remember rightly. I prefer them firing inwards though. At the moment they arein another room though as I'm demoing some Harbeths.

Harbeths, eh, ...mmmm interesting, let us know how you get on, please.

Love em and so does the Mrs. They are even placed in the corners against conventional wisdom but we like em, like em a lot.

They are not exciting they just play music, no punchy bass, no brightness nothing accentuated just very even. I like not having to reach for the volume control everytime a track has emphasis on say the vocals or the radio presenter is too loud in comparrison to the music. A few more speakers to try yet though although the Mrs just wants me to get these, she is quite taken which is most unusual; mind she doesn't know the price.

No need to state the obvious ('course she doesn't) but I guess neither did I... just had a look - eek! etc. Go on what ones then?

Yes, from experience, wife "takeness" can be inversely proportional to the price (unless they match everthing else of course and at the same time are invisible).

Love the old school proportions. They would look great with open box section stands! Seem pretty reasonable compared to the compact 7s. Looks like a lot more speaker for an extra 25% dosh. Having said that wouldn't mind hearing the 7s!

I just rooted out my old 3 point non weighted stands from the attic to compare against the weighted mass stands as loaned with the speakers. No contest, weighted mass sound better in our room as I thought. Even the Mrs noticed, she is getting a right hifi buff these days; better ears and instant judgement than cloth eared old me.

now, almost a year later to my last post, let me say something, maybe a bit strange at first reading. that is, I sold the RS5s - and am listening to a pair of the ol' Ela Mk 1.5s, last version (no mirror image tweeters, side-mounted legs, pretty much back-tilted cabinet, all roughly from 1995). why?, you may ask, and the answer is simple: apart from a bigger and deeper bass and a slightly better transparency, the RS5s lack everything the Ela Mk1.5s can do, that is, to make MUSIC. the old speakers are more natural and neutral, have better presence(!), are more detailed(!), and can depict a more beliveable soundstage than their later brothers that there was no question whether to sell the RS5s and keep the Elas. the amps used were an AI S400 Mk2 (valve) and a Meracus Intrare (SS). go figure...

advertisement

Back