advertisement

Rega Planar Lid dimensions

graham-r

pfm Member
Hello

Can a kindly person with a Rega Planar 3 (or similar) please measure the distance between the centres of the hinges on the lid ?

I am about to fit a (non Rega) lid to my homemade plinth/Garrard 401 using Rega hinges - so it makes sense to place them at the same positions so I could fit a Rega lid at a later date.

Many thanks

Probably best for someone to take a measure of the centre to centre spacing between the inner most screws that fasten the hinge receptacle plates to the plinth. These plates have slightly elongated holes which will make final alignment fine tuning possible once you acquire a Rega cover. This alignment is critical as the 'V' blocks of the cover hinges must slide fully home within the plates on the plinth for the cover to both sit level on the plinth and stay propped open at 90º.

I'm not at home at the moment else I'd measure mine for you.

151013-003.jpg

Thanks Craig - those are the exact ones I bought.

You are right measuring between mounting holes would be more accurate.

I’m sitting in front of mine right now and I make C2C 36.8cm and the L-toR inner screws at 34.3cm

RP10 but my understanding is that all lids are the same.

Thanks Craig - those are the exact ones I bought.

You are right measuring between mounting holes would be more accurate.
I've located what I believe to be my most accurate tape measure here and I'm reading 31.4cm from far side of one screw head to the near side of the other; this with the inner most hinge plate screws on P3 2000. With the same screws fitted, I find this to be the most accurate means of determining centre to centre. I've no decent 'engineering' rule long enough, max length 30cm only.

EDIT: Just got the same reading on an early Planar 3/R200 (perhaps a hair closer to 31.5cm), so I'm not sure where Paul L got his measure from, maybe a typo(?).

Last edited:
Yes all a bit strange, when it’s properly light I’ll put a tape or ruler against the lid and show you how I got my measurements, I’m intrigued they’re so different. But is maybe why I limited myself to simple DIY and left the tough stuff or practical career choices to others, lots of laughs.

or maybe I measured the lid rather than the plinth?

Here you go.
The measurement 'centre to centre' is 36.8cm. The measurement between the hinges is 30.1cm. The lid measures 44.3cm in width. (From a P3 and a Planar 3)
I do not think 1 or 2mm will make much difference if you are starting from scratch.

Thanks all - 368mm seems to be the consensus, so I will go with that.

The part of the hinge that fits to the plinth has slightly elongated holes (as stated above by Craig B) so this should give a tolerance of 1-2mm.

I might even have to fit a third hinge as this lid is a lot bigger and heavier than the std Rega one.

Thanks again.

Yes all a bit strange, when it’s properly light I’ll put a tape or ruler against the lid and show you how I got my measurements, I’m intrigued they’re so different. But is maybe why I limited myself to simple DIY and left the tough stuff or practical career choices to others, lots of laughs.

or maybe I measured the lid rather than the plinth?
Don't feel bad, Paul, @snowman_al has put us both to shame.

I suspect that you measured C2C of the inner most rivets that hold the hinges onto the lid, rather than of the inner screws that fasten the hinge plate to the plinth. Easy enough to do if looking over from the front of the deck in-situ, especially so, as the rivets are shiny and the screws are black.

Unfortunately, we are both going to have our wage-packets docked, regardless.

Just a quick update on this thread

It was delayed because the lid had a probable manufacturing fault with a failed joint that made it virtually useless, it is also possible that it got damaged in transit.

Perspex is quite difficult to glue so the company replaced it FOC - even though I bought it about 2 years ago and it is way out of any warranty.

onWJlau.jpg

Last edited:
Just a quick update on this thread

It was delayed because the lid had a probable manufacturing fault with a failed joint that made it virtually useless, it is also possible that it got damaged in transit.

Perspex is quite difficult to glue so the company replaced it FOC - even though I bought it about 2 years ago and it is way out of any warranty.

onWJlau.jpg
That is a big lid, like you said. Nice of the manufacturer to take care of you after so long.

As it happens, I am about to embark upon the most dangerous dust cover hinge fitting job of all, the dreaded reinstallation of the torsion spring loaded man-trap known as TD-125. I'm thinking of reinforcing the back panel of the cover first, similar to how a member on here did his with a strip of brushed alloy, as these are prone to crack as they get older under the relentless twisting force of the hinges.

I just have to locate a matching wood screw, as the previous owner managed to lose one (along with the anti-skate weight for the fitted SME 3009 S2).

DSC_2398.JPG

Last edited:
That is a big lid, like you said. Nice of the manufacturer to take care of you after so long.

As it happens, I am about to embark upon the most dangerous dust cover hinge fitting job of all, the dreaded reinstallation of the torsion spring loaded man-trap known as TD-125. I'm thinking of reinforcing the back panel of the cover first, similar to how a member on here did his with a strip of brushed alloy, as these are prone to crack as they get older under the relentless twisting force of the hinges.

I just have to locate a matching wood screw, as the previous owner managed to loose one (along with the anti-skate weight for the fitted SME 3009 S2).

DSC_2398.JPG

Best of luck with that job !

I should have mentioned that although the lid was about 2 years old it had never been used, it was only when I came to fit the hinges that I noticed the nearest joint was barely bonded - only about 25% of the joint was solid, there was no way it would have withstood the strain - especially as the lid is, as you say, quite big.

I have only fitted two Rega hinges - time will tell if they are up to the job......

Still the company deserves an honourable mention - plasticonline.co.uk

advertisement

Back