advertisement

Rega planar 3 or old lp12

PT1's seem scarce at the moment, but a trully great TT at around £3-400 for a bare deck. I have cursed ever since not doing here before I sold mine, but I would reckon that a Nima or Hadcock on one would be amazing (Orion on mine - a work-horse affair).

I love Rega decks but there’s no chance a Planar 3 can keep up with any reasonably well sorted LP12.

Fancy a change? Well there are tons of cheap Cirkus bearings about right now, fitted with new springs, grommets and a new belt, should cost under £300...
on the other hand, your LP12 should fetch more than a new P3 if you wanted a change and some cash left in your pocket.

I just wouldn’t bother updating it. I’d just have the suspension reset and update the cartridge if need be. £100+ cart. It’s fine as it is. If the OP just fancies a change then fair enough but the P3 is a step down, IMO. The Technics decks are fine but are a much larger outlay.
You read in my mind !

I personally owned a Planar 3 and then an LP12 and it was a huge step up in every way so would not recommend switching from an LP12 3 to an Planar 3, you risk to be very disappointed.

I would also say that from experience, any reasonable LP12 is significantly better than any Rega 3 - I’ve had both and then several Regas. To let a good LP12 go and move on not too unhappy, I would say one needs a P6 or better RP8 and above. Then it all sounds good enough and life is slightly less complicated.

I just wouldn’t bother updating it. I’d just have the suspension reset and update the cartridge if need be. £100+ cart. It’s fine as it is. If the OP just fancies a change then fair enough but the P3 is a step down, IMO. The Technics decks are fine but are a much larger outlay.

^This.

I think you'd have to go to a P6 or similar to get a Rega that can match an LP12. Like others here, I've had P3s and LP12s and there's simply no contest (assuming the LP12 is sorted correctly).

. The Technics decks are fine but are a much larger outlay.

If the new 100C is anything like GR without the DJ things, I'd look into this, it seem to be priced around P3 level.

I'm not busy getting my P7 back in play again, the GR deliver big time, deeply surprised myself.
unfortunately 1500C comes with a crap cartridge + on-board phonostage.

I love Rega decks but there’s no chance a Planar 3 can keep up with any reasonably well sorted LP12.

Fancy a change? Well there are tons of cheap Cirkus bearings about right now, fitted with new springs, grommets and a new belt, should cost under £300...
on the other hand, your LP12 should fetch more than a new P3 if you wanted a change and some cash left in your pocket.

I might give the old girl one more life lol
I've noticed clive a sound cinergy has a few bits in .I've never used him but hes very local to me

There’s a simple solution to this dilemma, get down to a dealer and listen to a Rega. Maybe take the Linn in to get a comparison, an idea of value and likely cost of service.

For me if sound quality is secondary to ease of use why not just stick to streaming?

Yes I will book a slot and perhaps have a listen to the rega range ,Clive does sell them

I can't help feeling that for many, the Technics range offers a simple, straight from the box alternative, albeit at a higher price than the Rega Planar 3.

PT1's seem scarce at the moment, but a trully great TT at around £3-400 for a bare deck. I have cursed ever since not doing here before I sold mine, but I would reckon that a Nima or Hadcock on one would be amazing (Orion on mine - a work-horse affair).

Seconded.

I might give the old girl one more life lol
I've noticed clive a sound cinergy has a few bits in .I've never used him but hes very local to me
He’s a top bloke, you can also audition the Rega decks whilst you’re there. I would highly recommend a visit.

advertisement

Back