Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Rega planar 3 or old lp12

Discussion in 'audio' started by worz, Jun 3, 2021.

1. w00fer

w00fer pfm Member

This is a really interesting description, and it nicely puts into words some of the doubts and inchoate feelings I've sometimes had when comparing my P3 with the recollections I have of vinyl in other contexts. E.g. a flatmate's Thorens (with Quad and Rogers), many years ago.

2. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

Philips long ago employed a logical solution to lateral sub-chassis instability in their 202 Electronic series. A lateral spring was employed opposite side from the pulley which could be adjusted to laterally balance the suspension. These decks could still be a bit unstable at 90º to this line though, so perhaps they should have employed two such springs in an equilateral triangle pattern with the pulley.

[​IMG]

P.S. Didn't someone on here experiment with lateral tension wires on Sondek?

Miss Ariel likes this.
  3. mega lord

mega lord Centre tapped

I seem to remember it was pieces of cotton thread taped on :)

Craig B likes this.
  4. Miss Ariel

Miss Ariel pfm Member

5. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

They were lovely looking things, IMO.

[​IMG]

Miss Ariel likes this.
  6. Miss Ariel

Miss Ariel pfm Member

Cheers Craig very kind of you to post a pic...my rose tinted glasses...have got really rosey :):) !

Craig B likes this.
  7. hi-fi132

hi-fi132 pfm Member

The new P3s are excellent. clever engineering, good bearing, great arm. Pair one with a Neo PSU and an Audio-Technica 500 or 700 series cartridge and you have an excellent fuss-free deck. Personally I would buy a Technics 1200GR, but if the Rega suits your needs / aesthetic preferences better go for it. I personally wouldn't bother with the LP12.

Mr Pig likes this.