advertisement

Rega Planar 10 Apheta 3 with Linn Selekt DSM

stephen_cowslip

pfm Member
Hi all,

Looking for a little advice.

I’m looking at going for a one box solution and currently looking at the Linn Selekt DSM with built in power amp.

I’m attracted to this unit due to the inclusion of a MC phono stage.

I have a Rega Planar 10 with apheta 3 and wondering if it would be a good fit.

Specs of the cart are as follows:

LOAD SETTINGS FOR ADJUSTABLE MC STAGES
Impedance
100 Ω
Capacitance
1000 pF
The specs of the Selekt MC stage are:

“moving-coil input has 100-ohm resistance and 470pF capacitance.”

Not really knowing a great deal about matching up MC carts with phono stages, would this be an issue?

Thanks in advance!

I had a Linn Majik DSM mk2 a while back and the phono stage in that was fairly average IMHO. It was a £300 card at the time - MC:

A Dynavector P75mk3 was easily better

Hi all,

Looking for a little advice.

I’m looking at going for a one box solution and currently looking at the Linn Selekt DSM with built in power amp.

I’m attracted to this unit due to the inclusion of a MC phono stage.

I have a Rega Planar 10 with apheta 3 and wondering if it would be a good fit.

Specs of the cart are as follows:

LOAD SETTINGS FOR ADJUSTABLE MC STAGES
Impedance
100 Ω
Capacitance
1000 pF
The specs of the Selekt MC stage are:

“moving-coil input has 100-ohm resistance and 470pF capacitance.”

Not really knowing a great deal about matching up MC carts with phono stages, would this be an issue?

Thanks in advance!
I bought a Selekt DSM earlier this year and I’m just using it as a pre amp, I registered with linn and set up an account for the dsm which was a quick alternative to setting up through konfig. Click on the sources tab in the Home Screen for your dsm scroll down to Phono (mc) click on > then scroll down to input level and select either from 0.6, 1.2, 2.4, or 4.8(mVrms) to match your cart input level, you can also rename your input, I’ve changed mine from phono MC to LP12 Krystal.
It’s also possible to set up your space optimisation in here. Plus other settings are configurable here also.

The Devialet amps let you do something similar, and the general consensus from the many user questions on their sites are to get the impedance right as the priority, the capacitance has much less of an impact.

I’d worry more about getting the sensitivity of the stage loading correct for the Apheta, I think the output is 0.3mV or so from memory (I had an Apheta2 for a while). I assume the Selekt DSM lets you vary that?

advertisement

Back