advertisement

Rega p6 upgrades

Hana ML user here and its a stunning cartridge and as Lowgroove posted there won't be any compatibility issues as he's using his with a P6.

Hana ML is a superb tracker and has superb separation and a really airy top end and a very transparent mid.Bass lines are really taut and well defined.

Maybe the Rega cartridges would be more suited.I am sure your Rega dealer will be able to dem you them.

I am using my Hana on a LP12.There will be no issues with your arm on it.Mr Pig here has got great results with his RB 3000 on his LP12.

I would hazard a guess that putting an RB880 on a P6 would bridge about halfway the gap between P6 and P8.

Having owned both, I'd hazard a guess that you are wrong if my experience is anything to go by.

The difference, other than the arm and the mass issue, is the drive. The Rega two belt decks (P8/P9/P10) are far more assured and solid sounding than the 6. The 880 is a very good arm, but the difference between it and the 330 isn't vast.

One of the issues around the 8 and the 10 is that they don't look anything like as serious as they sound. I've owned high mass decks (specifically an SME20/3), and based on that I suspect that when Jason Kennedy called the 8 a "giant killer", he had a specific deck in mind. I would take the 8 over an entry level LP12 like a shot.

Upgrading a Rega is great fun but ultimately a bit costly. I upgraded the hell out of my old RP3 for years but really all I wanted was a better turntable, I just didn't know it. Eventually I got a better turntable used, got a new arm for it, upgrades complete.

Enjoy your music and your Rega and wait until you have enough money for a big upgrade. Get something that will make a big difference.

Have you thought about a nice s/h RP8? All the sonics of a P8 in a more traditional look

From everything I've read from peopke who have used the new (P) line vs the older (RP) line, this is absolutely not the case and there's a consensus that the "P" tables sound much better.

Also, it's quite logical when you look at the design differences - for example with RP8/P8: different plinth material, even lower mass plinth, better bearing and subplatter, different platter design, different power supply...it's a vastly different deck.

I know this is an old thread but just in case others are searching, I thought I'd post my response to this.

I recently bought a used P6 with an RB808 arm fitted. I started wondering whether or not this was a sidestep or even backward step over the RB330 it would have shipped with originally. I searched online but found nothing and dealers I spoke to weren't sure. So, I spoke to Rega themselves and the response I got was that the RB808 was definitely an improvement over the RB330. The gentleman I spoke to also said that the difference between the RB808 and RB880 would be negligible.

My move is from on hold Planar 3 with the RB300. I'd done the 24v motor and Neo upgrades. There is a great leap forward from what I had, although that deck was no slouch.

My move is from on hold Planar 3 with the RB300. I'd done the 24v motor and Neo upgrades. There is a great leap forward from what I had, although that deck was no slouch.
Rega kit just keeps incrementally moving forward. Newer arms better than the old ones, and the old ones were good.

advertisement

Back