advertisement

Rega P6 cartridge replacement

I appreciate this is a common question and I am wading through the archives looking for insights, but I'm going to start my own thread anyways.

So due to a momentary lapse in caution, my 9-month old grabbed the tonearm on my Rega P6 and basically mushed the cantilever of the Ania cartridge. To look at it it should be a total loss, but oddly when I play a record with it (after moving it back into as much of a correct position as I can), to uncritical listening it sounds fine. Channels balanced, no distortion. Very unexpected. That said, I'm reluctant to play much with it in case the improper alignment carves up my records. And so I'm shopping for a new cart much earlier than I expected (the old one was 1.5 years old).

I am not someone who likes tinkering with my setup too much, have never been very good at turntable set ups and alignments and whatnot. So from that point of view, a new Ania as a drop-in no fuss replacement would make the most sense. However as good as it sounds, I also regard it as a pretty poor value at full retail and the lack of a replaceable stylus also bothers me. And so I'm looking at what else is on the market.

Ideally I'd like something that doesn't require installing spacers, and is reasonably easy to set up. If that's asking too much, I may as well bring it all in to a shop to do the set up for me (including spacer install if that ends up being a thing). Probably more important is good sound - I liked the crispness and detail of the Ania, didn't like the IGD of the elliptical stylus - replaceable stylus, and decent value for money. Something coming in more around the $500-600 mark would also be nice, though the budget isn't the dealbreaker here.

currently investigating the Audio-Technica VM540ML, Dynavector 10X5MkII, Hana EL/SL, Nagaoka MP-200, Ortofon 2M Bronze/Black.

current setup is the P6 into a Rothwell Rialto phono stage into Rega Elex-R into Dynaudio X18s. Listening mostly rock.

THANKS.

Does the cantilever appear to be bent and/or does the small red damper block at the base of the cantilever appear to have been dislodged?

The reason I ask is that the damping block, along with magnetic force is what suspends the cantilever, there exists no suspension tie wire to break. Therefore, there exists the possibility that if the cantilever survived then the rubber damper may simply require adjusment such that the alignment is put right again.

ania-top-down.jpg

Does the cantilever appear to be bent and/or does the small red damper block at the base of the cantilever appear to have been dislodged?

The reason I ask is that the damping block, along with magnetic force is what suspends the cantilever, there exists no suspension tie wire to break. Therefore, there exists the possibility that if the cantilever survived then the rubber damper may simply require adjusment such that the alignment is put right again.

ania-top-down.jpg

could well be. I moved the cantilever somewhat back into position, but it still pulls a little to the left (looking at it head on) and the downward angle is closer to 45 degrees from the horizontal than the... 30? it should be. And pushing the cantilever around, it bounces back to that position, as if the rubber block is, well, forcing it there.

I've emailed Rega Canada to find out if there's any means of repairing this thing. Who knows.

In the U.K. at least, Rega offer a generous trade in scheme for theirs cartridges, if the same applies in Canada, then a new one will cost you a fair chunk less than retail. Speak to your local retailer/distributor.

could well be. I moved the cantilever somewhat back into position, but it still pulls a little to the left (looking at it head on) and the downward angle is closer to 45 degrees from the horizontal than the... 30? it should be. And pushing the cantilever around, it bounces back to that position, as if the rubber block is, well, forcing it there.

I've emailed Rega Canada to find out if there's any means of repairing this thing. Who knows.
From your description, I would expect to find a bend in the cantilever where it passes through the cartridge body. Best not to play records further, as the SRA of the tip will be well into plough shear range.

The rebuild/repair price seems reasonable.

From your description, I would expect to find a bend in the cantilever where it passes through the cartridge body. Best not to play records further, as the SRA of the tip will be well into plough shear range.

The rebuild/repair price seems reasonable.
Yeah I will treat the “sounds fine” as a curiosity and not an encouragement to play any more records. Think I’m going to get a cheaper cart for the time being until baby boy is less of a threat and see about getting the damaged cart repaired in the meantime

Your current scenario represents a perfect example of where audio-technica's plastic cantilever is the most appropriate thing. :)

rega-carbon-mm-hi-fi-cartridge.jpg

img-gallery-cart-carbon-a.jpg

Last edited:
Well, to tell you the truth I didn’t listen the Golding yet, so I don’t know.I know, without listen I wouldn’t have advice the Golding o_O

No worries Nuno. I think that we all get influenced by manufacturer, magazine reviewer, and buyer claims. In this particular case, the E1 appears to be both electrically and mechanically the exact same thing as AT91, albeit the generator is enclosed in the old AT3400/AT93/AT95E can, rather than the exact AT91/AT3600/CN5625AL one.

I've no actual proof that Rega rebuilt my Apheta last year apart from the thing itself. It looks and definitely sounds the part so I'm happy.

Yeah I will treat the “sounds fine” as a curiosity and not an encouragement to play any more records. Think I’m going to get a cheaper cart for the time being until baby boy is less of a threat and see about getting the damaged cart repaired in the meantime

I placed my turntable on a wall shelf some 1.25 mtr up.
Cured the baby problem.

I can confirm 100% that we do cartridge rebuilds at our Southend on Sea HQ, we handbuild them there in the first place so why would we not rebuild them there.

I'm inquiring with Focal Naim about how this is handled in Canada. I would absolutely like my cart rebuilt as it must be cheaper than buying a new one.

advertisement

Back