advertisement

Rega P1+ bypass

PrinzEugen

Hi, since I'm new on the forum and this is my first post I hope someone could give me a piece of advice as I have searched through forum but I didn't find (or I failed to find) solution.

I have a new Rega P1 + plus with built-in phono preamp. In the meantime I have purchased an amplifier Yamaha a-s301 with phono input.

Is it worth in terms of sound quality to somehow bypass light version of Rega Fono Mini A2D and wire tonearm directly to output plugs to phono input, since amp phono is better than tt solution.

There are some pics I found of rega p1+ module and I suppose that is a correct wiring scheme for rca plugs?

I'm thinking of leaving built-in module and just to solder output wires to pcb board, so in that case phono amp will be working; so will humming from the electronic will affect output raw audio signal?

P.s which torx key is adequate for rega screw bottom covers?

tnx. Ivan

cant upload pictures

The following error occurred:
Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

Hello Ivan,

Looking at the specs of each, it is likely to be a case of 'swings and roundabouts', with the Rege Plus stage spec'd marginally better wrt RIAA accuracy, and the Yamaha having a very slight advantage on input shorted S/N. Overload margins are similarly generous for each.

Another consideration is, given two similar phono stages, having one that is integrated with a turntable that also includes a manufacturer spec'd phono cartridge can confer some benefit wrt optimized loading for the cartridge. Rega Plus is spec'd 47kΩ in parallel with 220pF which is pretty ideal for the included Carbon (or any A-T MM really). Yamaha have specified the standard load impedance of 47kΩ but don't list parallel capacitance. If the A-S310 input capacitance were the same as that of the Rega then adding to that the additional capacitance of a phono interconnect may put the net pF a bit too high for best response from a given cartridge. This may not amount to a significant difference in practice, but the Rega stage is known to be in the zone.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Would it not be better to sell the Planar 1 Plus and replace it with Rega without a preamp built in?

You get Rega P1 when you strip down phono module from P1+,it is just straight wiring from tonearm to amp phono input, as a matter of fact replacing tt is not a option due to other reasons.

Is it possible to make a switch like in factory tt, line/phono ?

Basicaly Rega builtin tt phono is practically same as Yamaha amp phono but adding Nagaoka mp-110 mm cartidge to Rega P1 seems to be a game changer or not ?

advertisement

Back