advertisement

Rega Neo TT PSU v's P10 PSU

Greyandy

pfm Member
Does anyone know what the differences are between the 'standard' Rega NEO PSU and the one that is supplied with the P10? I was wondering if it would be a worthwhile upgrade for my P8. I can't find the P10 PSU for sale anywhere but would imagine that Rega would probably sell you one.

Thanks in advance

Andy

My word for the week is incremental. Yes, I'm sure the P10 PSU is better than the NEO but it's probably not a vast difference. On top products it's about refining things to get that last few percent of performance.

I doubt they would sell you a P10 PSU anyway. On the P10 one of the biggest differences is that each PSU is matched and tuned to the motor it drives so they'd need to sell you the motor to go with it. And you're going to fit this yourself? Nope, they're not going to go with that.

Put it this way. A few years ago I needed to replace the motor and board on a P1, yes a P1. I asked Rega if they could supply me with a motor and they said 'No, send it down and we'll fit it.' I said 'That's very kind of you but it's bonkers to send down the entire deck and then send it back just to fit a motor.' but they weren't having it, I had to send the deck down. Insisted it was too tricky for me to do myself! Although it what way it's any different from fitting the 24v upgrade kit beats me!!

And you reckon they'll let you fit a P10 motor and PSU to your P8? Or even do that for you? Not a chance.

The P10 power supply will likely be individually tuned to the motor on the specific deck it’s supplied with, as they used to do with the P9. I doubt they’ll sell it separately, although I could be wrong.

My word for the week is incremental. Yes, I'm sure the P10 PSU is better than the NEO but it's probably not a vast difference. On top products it's about refining things to get that last few percent of performance.

I doubt they would sell you a P10 PSU anyway. On the P10 one of the biggest differences is that each PSU is matched and tuned to the motor it drives so they'd need to sell you the motor to go with it. And you're going to fit this yourself? Nope, they're not going to go with that.

Put it this way. A few years ago I needed to replace the motor and board on a P1, yes a P1. I asked Rega if they could supply me with a motor and they said 'No, send it down and we'll fit it.' I said 'That's very kind of you but it's bonkers to send down the entire deck and then send it back just to fit a motor.' but they weren't having it, I had to send the deck down. Insisted it was too tricky for me to do myself! Although it what way it's any different from fitting the 24v upgrade kit beats me!!

And you reckon they'll let you fit a P10 motor and PSU to your P8? Or even do that for you? Not a chance.

Thanks for the answer. My understanding is that the 'matching' of PSU's to TT's done by Rega is no more involved than simply adjusting the speed control to match the motor, which is something that you can do yourself on the NEO PSU via the built in adjustment control (I may of course be wrong...). I wonder if Rega would sell you a P10 PSU if you claimed you'd lost the original one...?

Thanks for the answer. My understanding is that the 'matching' of PSU's to TT's done by Rega is no more involved than simply adjusting the speed control to match the motor, which is something that you can do yourself on the NEO PSU via the built in adjustment control (I may of course be wrong...). I wonder if Rega would sell you a P10 PSU if you claimed you'd lost the original one...?
They used to do it by trimming the voltage whilst holding the motor in hand, unconnected to the deck until vibration was imperceptible. If they still do it the same way, there’s no way they’ll do that without having the deck back.

A bit dated, but still relevant for those thinking of adding an external Rega PSU to a North American market Rega deck, here is a handy flyer from American Rega distributor 'The Sound Organisation' covering decks that can be fitted with TT-PSU...

Note that early TT-PSU had two jumper pins (at SK2 on the board) that were closed for 60Hz decks and open for 50Hz models. These pins doubled as the test points for adjusting the two voltage pots (one for 45RPM operation, the other for 33.33RPM) for 24V output. Later TT-PSU (TTPSU SM V1) have a surface mount resistor located at one of two points on the PCB for 50Hz vs 60Hz operation (as per the linked to document). Presumably, NEO follows this latter convention for factory setting supplies for use with 50Hz vs. 60Hz decks.

50Hz market 'MOTOR PCB 24V Version 2':
DSC_0866.thumb.JPG.abcf2b7b934c90e6513edcabd07f77a8.JPG

advertisement

Back