advertisement

Rega MC

Darren L

Egalitarian
Rega now have a range of MC cartridges , Ania, Apheta 2 and Aphelion. Has anyone used any of these MC's in either Regas own turntable & tonearm combo's or in any other analogue front end?

I have an Apheta 2 on my RP8. Sounds great into the Aria phono stage. Muck does tend to stick to the stylus though so it needs cleaning with a carbon brush after every side. Hairs also seem to attached to the front of the cartridge. The stylus guard is a bloody nightmare with none too steady hands and poor eyesight. I have to use it though, as SWMBO is fond of dusting the deck, despite being asked, nay TOLD not to.

I have an Apheta 2 on my RP8. Sounds great into the Aria phono stage. Muck does tend to stick to the stylus though so it needs cleaning with a carbon brush after every side. Hairs also seem to attached to the front of the cartridge. The stylus guard is a bloody nightmare with none too steady hands and poor eyesight. I have to use it though, as SWMBO is fond of dusting the deck, despite being asked, nay TOLD not to.

Maybe that is why Roy Gandy does not recommend record cleaning. The schmutz gets picked up by the pick-up!

That’s strange as I have an Apheta 2 on a Planar 8 and I don’t notice it picking up much dust at all. I do wet clean all my records though.

I have the same combo. Yes, it's good at cleaning LPs! Obviously it's a great and trouble-free sound, and the cantilever still looks dead centre after a year of use.
My solution to the latter problem - I asked the OIC to make a dust cover for the dustcover (a bright red sheet of thin material of the right dimensions to drape over it). That way there's no need to perplex the perspex.

advertisement

Back