advertisement

Rega IO vs. Brio 2017

I'm curious about this. Since you have all those Brit amps, which one favors your ls3/5as, if not the Io?
I normally run the LS3/5a’s with valve amps, either 300B SET or Quicksilver Mini’s using 6L6’s, but as far as the Brit integrateds are concerned, they sound the best to my ears with the Sugden or the 3020, with the Nait 1 following closely behind.

Pretty much all the reviews I've seen - especially reviews that are essentially journo reviews - all seem to say it's great. The sceptical side of me worries about that for some reason. I'm not saying they're paid reviews or anything like that but perhaps a simple case of snowballing of excitement. But the thing is, it's working on me as well: in my mind, it's a great amp and I've not even seen or heard one in the flesh. If I could only convince myself I need one I'd probably go ahead and buy one!
Agreed.
Everything I hear about this amp seems to align with what I'm looking for in my sound, and it seems like such a good bargain. But I think people shouldn't get too ahead of themselves and set their expectations too high - I mean, let's face it, it's a 30 WPC amp, and it won't drive many speakers to satisfactory levels (of course, different people have different ideas of what "satisfactory" is, but anyway). But if you've got the right speaker with the right synergy in the right room, it might end up being all you need really.

Came across a comment on a German forum the other day from a guy who demoed the IO at home with his Harbeth P3s and thought the resulting sound was "thin and listless" (I don't speak German, so this is an online translation). That seems like an indication of a speaker being underpowered (and no wonder given the low efficiency of the P3s). I've also read a comment on Youtube from someone who returned an IO after a disappointing experience pairing it with a pair of Totem Sky Towers ($2250 USD) - he preferred the more powerful Onkyo A-9150 over it.

This leads me to think that to get the best out of it, one would need to use it in a small(ish) room paired with a pair of standmounts/bookshelves that are super easy to drive (8ohm, 90+db) and roughly in the same league in terms of price. Of course, I could be wrong - you never know what'll work, and what won't..

Agree. It's probably no giant killer but for someones first system seems great value. More so because it originates from the UK.

I do though think this appeals more for second or third/office system than yoofs or people with disposable income getting a first home Hifi.

They likely want something better featured.

Rega have so far resisted to make an integrated all-in- one but I wonder for how long they continue to do so.

Absolutely common sense must apply here as stated not a power house. But then neither was certain other small amps. I think from what I have read it does the trick of being musical and enjoyable rather than be the last word in detail or drive.
I think it speaks volumes that Rega market it with its smallest speaker not it's biggest floorstanders.
What I find amazing is the little IO seems at least to be more engaging than its bigger brothers, not a better amp but covers it's shortcomings well. Again sounds like a few other amps back to back there flaws would be exposed but in isolation sounds good. This kind of opens up the debate is it better to get 90% but sound cohesive and fun or strive for the ultimate detail and hear everything even if not as enjoyable. The analogy of a really good system pulling apart a poor recording for example that sounds good on a lesser system as the flaws are hidden and it sounds good.

Rega have so far resisted to make an integrated all-in- one but I wonder for how long they continue to do so.

Agree on this. If they made a small integrated with DAC built-in (if that's what you mean) it would surely sell like hotcakes. Especially now the DAC-R is no longer produced.

I'm curious about this. Since you have all those Brit amps, which one favors your ls3/5as, if not the Io?

I have an IO driving a pair of Falcon gold badge LS3/5As and the result is excellent. Was meant as a stop gap and actually belongs to my son, but the IO is absolutely cracking. Very musical box of tricks and every bit as musically engaging as my previous pre-power at 10X cost... It's not the be all end all ... not the most detailed amp ever, nor does it throw a particularly expansive soundstage but plenty of power in my room (20X10, firing across the room...and simply makes music fun and foot tapping. Bargain at £379

I have an IO driving a pair of Falcon gold badge LS3/5As and the result is excellent. Was meant as a stop gap and actually belongs to my son, but the IO is absolutely cracking. Very musical box of tricks and every bit as musically engaging as my previous pre-power at 10X cost... It's not the be all end all ... not the most detailed amp ever, nor does it throw a particularly expansive soundstage but plenty of power in my room (20X10, firing across the room...and simply makes music fun and foot tapping. Bargain at £379
Those Falcons have very low sensitivity but with 15 ohm impedance they never dip below 8 ohms - I guess that explains why the little IO has no problem driving them.

It's likely more transformer hum, audible through the chassis.

Good review from the The Alpha Audio site too.

Does the IO transmit a slight hum through the speakers? Some of the older Brio-R did this.

S.
Some say there is a hum/buzz, others don't hear it or hear it very slightly, so I guess it varies from unit to unit.
Here's a a guy reporting audible buzz in the right channel, alongside some volume pot/balance issues
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...=cm_cr_othr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0874Y6JPY

Really interested in Rega sound myself, so it's a bit of a bummer.

Rega probably ship truck loads of these so a few comments about buzzing likely need to be seen in context. - Many other amps (or owners with compromised mains supplies/circuits) have similar reported isolated issues.

Probably worth contacting the authorised Retailer first for an investigation and perhaps a replacement.

Thanks @Miss Ariel for all the good things you've had to say about Rega io: I bought one a few weeks ago and it's now up and running as part of my second system at my computer desk. I bought it not knowing where it would go as I need more amps like the Sahara needs more sand but, following a handy brain wave the other day, I decided to upgrade my computer system and place the amp in situ there. In a nutshell, everything you've said about the Rega being a great wee amp is bang on, and now my second system rocks where previously it just allowed me to hear music. Admittedly, I upgraded my speakers at the same time so it's hard to say which upgrade is doing which, but certainly, as part of the new combo, it's spot on!

Fwiw, my second system is: mac mini > Cambridge Audio Dacmagic+ > Rega io > Tannoy Prestige Autograph Mini GR (without the grilles!)

Grazie, grazie :)

This little amp just looks so right, I wish I had a use for it. Encouraging that for a wee little box it seems to handle LS50s well.

Then again it could prove a giant killer so perhaps when there is some spare dosh floating around I'll land one...

advertisement

Back