advertisement

Rega integrated amplifiers

Hepokatti

pfm Member
Strengths? Weaknesses? Older amps' values? Just random discussion.

I'm particularily interested in Luna, Brio 3, Mira 3 etc..lower end models. Had Brio-R, and it is the only one I've some experience with.

Is there any database or history of these amplifiers in interweb?

I had a Brio 3 before upgrading to the Brio R. It was excellent for the little I paid for it and didn't think the R was that much of an improvement in sonics but the remote and the visual matching to the Apollo R was enough to justify it.

I still have a Luna running in a second system. Very versatile amp, as it can be used as a pre or a power as well as an integrated obviously.

I think they are 40WPC with built in MM phono stage.

It has been serviced once since I bought it new around 1998, but this was because the source selector switch became faulty. I haven't changed any caps etc, so it may not sound as good as it should, I don't know really.

Not the last word in transparency, kind of a slow, warm sound when driving Acoustic Energy 109 speakers. Very different to the Nait 3 I tried at the time, which was quite harsh in comparison.

Nicely built with metal clam-shell case too.

I'm running a Mira 3. This little bugger amazes me daily- not with its' sound quality (which will always be a matter of taste), but with its' ability to drive difficult speaker loads confidently. After having lived with it for several years and in different system configurations, I've concluded that the digital volume control is key to the overall presentation. Coming from a more conventional potentiometer-equipped amp, it takes some getting used to, but I'm now convinced that it's the way to go. Some will wish for a less polite sound, but I'm quite happy.

I would be cautious to aquire clapshell amplifiers due to some quality issues.
Wonder why Radio and Planets didn't have those.

A friend had the first Brio and lovely amp its no longer working.
Current range is much better buildt

The Brio range is however the peach IMO, the 2000/3 or R, they are all great on easy speakers as Rega or Royd offered during the nineties, now RS1 would be fine but Ela or 7L Royds not bad choice either, I think pairing is important.

As for the Mira range I found I preferred Brio but admittedly Mira is more powerfull and will match a wider range of loudspeakers.
Again, much better than majority of crap amps out there

I think Roy used Naim 135 based amplication as reference to develop his own

Interesting stuff. Is the "clamshell" referring to the older design (ie. Luna/Original Planet CD)?

Another thing that's interesting is boegelund finding Brios the best. 2000 and 3's can be had for nice prices, but personally I don't find the R quite worth it (until the prices drop).

Yes 'clamshell' is the first design range.

In all honesty there is no fixed 'best' Rega amp. They are all good but people have different tastes and priorities.

clamshell

190001_thumb_8a3996d5e6bf80118a7debd735cf4f38.jpg

2000/3

brio3_1.jpg

R

Brio-R-front-34.jpg

Another thing that's interesting is boegelund finding Brios the best. 2000 and 3's can be had for nice prices, but personally I don't find the R quite worth it (until the prices drop).

Well, compared to current market the Brio/R is a bargain IMO
admittedly a used Brio 2000 or 3 is cheaper

None of these gives the last word or hifi effects but they are musically fun and involving, drawing listener into the records like few other contenders, I would choose a Brio before many mega bucks monsteramp at 10 or 20 times the price
All 3 Brio Version are great choices on matching speakers, they won't match hard driven loads
I use my Brios on RS1 in a secondary and could easy live without my main setup should I need too downscale.
A complete Rega setup is addictive unelectronic sounding.

The one thing all the Brio's have had in common is fun, they really are a very enjoyable listen. The sins they have are of omission, and if it is a sin, being much more about music than hi-fi. Although I think that applies to most of Rega's kit.

Well, compared to current market the Brio/R is a bargain IMO

Yeah, it still might be! However, prices have gone higher here in Finland at least. 700-800€ (849€ suggested retail price which is roughly 700£) when new, and with that kind of money, one already has options. Either going cheaper and not losing a whole lot/anything (Rotel, NAD) or getting something more with the same money (Arcam, Roksan, Cyrus).

Sound quality is of course the main issue, but having owned a trio of "budget best buys" Rotel RA-10, Rega Brio-R and NAD C316BEE - none of them were bad for what they were supposed to do, with different strengths, and I could live with any of them. I even dare to claim that Rotel's phono-stage is better than Rega's. Less noisy.What I mean is, besides the brand and looks, Rega is hard to justify. It's resale value will probably stay higher through the years though.

My Brio-R was a very solid step up from my NAD integrated amp, and I didn't fully expect it to be. I borrowed a friend's while she went on vacation and I couldn't go back to the NAD. Ordered the Brio-R immediately.

I've had a Brio-R for two months now and I like it, it's driving my JR149s fine and they sound good with the amp, also the phono stage is pretty decent.

I've a modded Arkless 640P but it's been out of the system for two months and I could easily live with the Brio's phono stage.

Also, I love the remote and the mute function.

Previous amps have all been old SH models although I did have a Sugden A21a and a 21P plus a Parasound Halo preamp which were very good too but the Brio-R is very easy to live with.

Elicit-R owner here; mine's been in service now for two months, and I think it's a great amp; very revealing. I bi-wire with my B&W 805S speakers, and frankly, my music has never sounded better. This was my upgrade from older Arcam Alpha 9 amps, which I loved.
I highly recommend the Elicit-R.
Jeff

advertisement

Back