advertisement

Rega Elicit humming sound coming from amp

Conster

pfm Member
I've noticed a humming sound from my system which I suspected to be coming through my speakers as a result of a potential ground loop fault or possibly phono stage but upon further investigation, I have determined that the humming sound is coming from the amp itself. Any other elicit owners ever experience this?

If the hum is present through the speakers with no source connected to the amp, you should contact your Rega dealer. The Elicit-r is normally quiet.

The was a long running saga on the WHF forum last year, with someone having various problems with the Elicit-R, including humming from the power supply.
IIRC, he had 3 or 4 replacement amps, with a couple of them having humming problems.

FL390, the customer on the What HiFi forum Steve did indeed complain of humming in his system with an Elicit amplifier but on returning the units we could find no fault.

Conster, could I ask that you try another socket for the amplifier and isolate it from other units as best you can to see if the environment it is being used in affects things, proximity of other components etc. If there continues to be a mechanical hum then please take the unit back to the dealer you bought it from and see if they can replicate the problem. If it is confirmed then we will replace immediately, if not then I am sure that they can advise regards best positioning to avoid external influences.

At the Bristol Show we have ourselves, Tannoy and Dali all using Elicit r's and they are as quiet as church mice (on the humming front that is) ;-)

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

My Brio-R does this from time to time. Doesn't affect the sound in any way, but I wondered if it could be mains fluctuation - I'll have to see when it next happens.

My Amp ( Carat A57 MK2 ) also does this from time to time. I have heard that it is the Toroidal transformer?

Noticed my newly purchased Rega Brio-R when connected to my Rega RS3's caused a hum/buzzing sound from the speakers. Took the amp back to Moorgate Acoustics, but the fault could not be replicated in the store. Transpired that it was caused by poorly contacting banana plugs. When changed, the system became totally silent. Suggest therefore that you check the intimacy of the contacts at the speakers (and into the amplifier)

I note this is an old thread. I to have noted a low drone hum 50hz sounding from left channel speaker on my Rega Aethos. I disconnected all sources and it is still there, its from the speaker not from the amp.
I have contacted my dealer... audio t. I will try Paul’s suggestion and isolate it from all sources. It’s in a dedicated HIFI rack on its own shelf though? And tried diff speaker cables with diff bananas... ? Just tried isolating it, it is the same....

Hi Ria, is it volume dependent ?

If it is then it could be external factors as the Aethos has a massive transformer and can seldomly and only in certain and very unusually imperfect situations exhibit what you are experiencing, normally these can be eradicated but if not then in that case get it back to Audio T (after 15th June) let them try and replicate the fault and if they can and it is indeed the amplifier then we will replace asap, no questions, best, PD

I note this is an old thread. I to have noted a low drone hum 50hz sounding from left channel speaker on my Rega Aethos. I disconnected all sources and it is still there, its from the speaker not from the amp.
I have contacted my dealer... audio t. I will try Paul’s suggestion and isolate it from all sources. It’s in a dedicated HIFI rack on its own shelf though? And tried diff speaker cables with diff bananas... ? Just tried isolating it, it is the same....

That is funny, yesterday I have recieved a s/h Aethos from the UK here in Germany. A very, very decent amp. But I noticed a slight hum from... the left speaker. Not volume dependent. It is hardly audible from the distance. But it is clearly there. And it is much more audible (and annoying) over headphones, left channel too. I have disconnected all sources and speakers and checked several headphones, main cables and sockets. No difference: hum on the left headphone channel. A bit more over a Grado GH2 than over a AKG K712. I guess I should contact the dealer first and send it to my local hifi garage. Or to TAD Audio, wich is the Rega distributor for Germany. My Rega Elicit mk2 is dead silent, by the way.

Hi Ria, is it volume dependent ?

If it is then it could be external factors as the Aethos has a massive transformer and can seldomly and only in certain and very unusually imperfect situations exhibit what you are experiencing, normally these can be eradicated but if not then in that case get it back to Audio T (after 15th June) let them try and replicate the fault and if they can and it is indeed the amplifier then we will replace asap, no questions, best, PD

Hi Paul. Thank you for responding so quickly, I note this is an older thread... yes I have completely isolated the Amp and in fact now notice that the amp itself has a very slight hum, not as amplified as the speaker hum. You can’t hear it a few metres away and so wonder whether I should be querying it at all to be honest but given it’s not cheap and I have spent more than 2k on decent shielded cabling, all chord epic & Chord Shawline mains I don’t think I should be noting a hum. Don’t know why I mentioned cables, nothing to do with them.
I have informed audio t Portsmouth and I know there won’t be an issue re diagnosis and replacement if needed. That’s why I choose Rega whom I respect and trust so have no concern that the matter will be dealt with, without quibble. Given the intricate electronics that go into these amps these things can happen.

That is funny, yesterday I have recieved a s/h Aethos from the UK here in Germany. A very, very decent amp. But I noticed a slight hum from... the left speaker. Not volume dependent. It is hardly audible from the distance. But it is clearly there. And it is much more audible (and annoying) over headphones, left channel too. I have disconnected all sources and speakers and checked several headphones, main cables and sockets. No difference: hum on the left headphone channel. A bit more over a Grado GH2 than over a AKG K712. I guess I should contact the dealer first and send it to my local hifi garage. Or to TAD Audio, wich is the Rega distributor for Germany. My Rega Elicit mk2 is dead silent, by the way.

Hey, sorry to hear that. Yes I hear it more through headphones and it was that that drew my attention in the first place. I’ve had the amp 3 months, and only spotted it over the week as I was trying out new speakers and had my ear directly next to the speaker whilst changing cables, thought it odd but no huge concern then plugged the headphones in later In evening and really noted it through the headphones, same thing as you have.

I hope you get yours sorted. Yes let your dealer know first and I’m sure they’ll sort it for you, let me know how that goes...

I don't know about the Elicit specifically, but DC in the AC supply is a common cause of this type of hum in amplifiers and other devices using large transformers.

I have contacted the dealer, who is an authorised Rega dealer in the UK. Let's see what's going to happen...

H
I have contacted the dealer, who is an authorised Rega dealer in the UK. Let's see what's going to happen...
hi Jansen, can I know what was the latest update? Did u bring the amp to Rega eventually?
I have an Aethos as well, similar as yours, experiencing slight hum on the left channel.

I have made an arrangement with the UK dealer, Rega UK and TAD Audio (german distributor). I am going to ship the Aethos to TAD next week. TAD wants to fix the issue. I will keep you updated...

Most likely the power amp section is affected somehow, as the preamp output is silent.
Ok. I did check the electrical line in my house and fixed them. Also borrowed a power Conditioner, However, still humming on the left channel. Please let me know how’s yours later on. Cheers

Likely a bit of DC or something, most amps I have used in my home get a bit buzzy at times too, the fridge...

Try a Sjostrom high current DC blocker...

Likely a bit of DC or something, most amps I have used in my home get a bit buzzy at times too, the fridge...

Try a Sjostrom high current DC blocker...
Yes i did unplug fridge, waterpump, tv and etc. It’s still there. I tried in neighbour house, the humm is also stays in the left channel. Luckily i found this threat where two person got the same problem with the Aethos

advertisement

Back