advertisement

Rega dac v Musical Fidelity m1 dac

tank121

First of all my kit, Squeezebox Touch (stand alone mode with usb HD), Arcam A85 amp, Dali Mentor Menuets speakers.

My aim to improve the overall sound quality, detail and soundstage. I appreciate the built in dac in the Touch is pretty good.

My plan, i currently have a Rega Dac on home trial connected to the Touch via Qed rca cables and the amp via Cambridge Audio coaxial.

Observations - is there a night and day difference? No but both my friends have heard instruments on tracks we've not heard before. Bass is tighter and we all felt we could listen to it all night.

So what about the Musical Fidelity Dac. Has anyone tried both in a simlar setup to mine? There is only £100 difference in price.

Out of the two is there any main advantages/disadvantages ?

Rega due to be returned tomorrow.

I was also considering the Matrix Mini I anyone?

I have a Rega DAC setting between a MkI AppleTV and my Naim 152/155XS setup and I would recommend it every time.

Great resolution and sound as you would expect for a piece of kit using the same chipset that is used in much higher end DACS.

Jono

Yes I'm enjoying the trial. Is it worth auditioning the Emotiva Stereo Preamplifier
XDA-1 ?

Can I get a home trial ?

First of all my kit, ipod classic, Cambridge Audio iD100 , Naim 32.5 pre amp, Hi cap, Mono 135's all recently serviced and currently playing into Isobarik DMS speakers. I have had my M1Dac delivered today and although it is not burnt in yet it already makes my Dacmagic 2 look very poor indeed do yourself a favour audition the M1Dac (anyone looking for some isobariks ? )

Stereophile wrote some nice things about the Arcam rDac. Might be worth considering too (and is, I think, a bit less than the Rega).

Didn't people judge the m1dac to come below the Rega during the great bake off ?
Ill be using my SB touch with all of these

tank121;

I've been using a M.Fidelity M1 dac for around 7 months now with a S'box Duet streamer via rca, its fabulous sounding for the money.

I'm connecting the M1 dac into my Classe Audio Thirty pre-amp via XLR connection. The M1 dac has a vast choice of inputs on rear panel, nice.

A big thumbs up on the M.Fidelity dac, excellent sounding bit of kit!!

advertisement

Back