advertisement

rega dac, cdq, young dac bake off

big thank you in advance to Guildford Audio, Purite Audio, Item Audio and NVA for helping put this together.

...any Rega Dac owners, its not too late :)

after having the young DAC for 3 days, i'm now curious about the score even more than before. this unit is playing so faultless i can't imagine it being beaten unless it's a synergy thing.

after having the young DAC for 3 days, i'm now curious about the score even more than before. this unit is playing so faultless i can't imagine it being beaten unless it's a synergy thing.

It certainly is a nice DAC and for me outperformed my Lavry :). It looks very well next to my alu MacMini. I'll be very interested in your test methods and findings.

Hi,

I have also the Young at home for 10 days now (supply from Germany). From far it outperforms my aqvox + hiface (soundstage, precision, dynamic, clarity).
Some members of our forum will be quite interested with the results of your investigations. That's a great initiative

For those who would like to have some insights on my own first tests, the thread can be found here (in french, sorry) http://www.audiophilefr.com/Site/fo...e-f25/m2tech-vaughan-young-dac-t10690-45.html

Ah come on Aerki. I'm English, and you know that the best we English can do is to SHOUT louder to make the French understand. As for reading, we're utterly terrible!

:)

I once was in Belley, France and there was this fat bloke in the supermarket. He wanted an effervescent orange drink, but was such an ignorant git that all he could do was yell louder and louder in his english tongue, "Fizzy orange. FIZZY ORANGE."

I have had the Young, Rega, Audiolab and Dacmagic all demo'd through my system over the last month.
I don't have much time to post as I'm in a cafe And I'm trying to keep my little one occupied.
What I can say is I loved the warm sound to the Rega really nice. Lots of texture and a dark and moody sound. Lovely.
The Dacmagic was great. Amazing what you get for the price. And keeps up with all of them.
But it was and is the Young dac I would like to live with long term. It has bags of detail, very very open with meters of space between the instruments, shed loads of low end control and openess, the Audiolab was very similar in sound but for me it was the young with greater openess at the lower end and a more controlled overall. Everything seems to hang together well. All of my family are musicians and I hear live music at least once a week. Ultimately that is what I am wanting to achieve out of hifi, give me something that sounds real and I'm a happy man.
Im not sure if any of these dacs are system dependent, but if it helps anyone my system is Exposure IX/II pre amp, Exposure IV DR2 Heco speakers fronted by a MacBook Pro

I have had the Young, Rega, Audiolab and Dacmagic all demo'd through my system over the last month.
I don't have much time to post as I'm in a cafe And I'm trying to keep my little one occupied.
What I can say is I loved the warm sound to the Rega really nice. Lots of texture and a dark and moody sound. Lovely.
The Dacmagic was great. Amazing what you get for the price. And keeps up with all of them.
But it was and is the Young dac I would like to live with long term. It has bags of detail, very very open with meters of space between the instruments, shed loads of low end control and openess, the Audiolab was very similar in sound but for me it was the young with greater openess at the lower end and a more controlled overall. Everything seems to hang together well. All of my family are musicians and I hear live music at least once a week. Ultimately that is what I am wanting to achieve out of hifi, give me something that sounds real and I'm a happy man.
Im not sure if any of these dacs are system dependent, but if it helps anyone my system is Exposure IX/II pre amp, Exposure IV DR2 Heco speakers fronted by a MacBook Pro

young with stock wallwart PSU or with some custom regulated power supply?

The young was powered by the standard wall wart power supply.
I understand improvement can be had from a regulated power supply.

Hi Guys,

I just spent the whole day with a Queen's citizen, I think we understood each other quite well ! Or at least he was polite enough to let me believe it :)

Most probably the sound of the Young will be improved by using a better regulated PS, as this is already the case with the EVO.
I think also that an even better solution would be to use LiFePo4 batteries.

Then a possible issue for your benchmark would be the PS... Will you try to squeeze out the least significant bit out of these dacs or just use them straight off the shelves ?
I understand that the second option would be for sure much easier, except if purite audio provides it

Aerki

The big day is tomorrow !

I appreciate the 'young' is getting a lot of press, and perhaps deservedly -

but we have quite some fearsome opposition coming tomorrow -

Wyred 4 Sound
Audiolab
Zodiac
Heed Dactilus

... and many others besides.

It will be a very interesting day!

''Rega'' owners, its not too late to see how your DAC stacks up, or to see how it sounds through a variety of dedicated PC based transports.

... or to hear how it sounds through a massive pair of TAD speakers, if that's of any interest.

advertisement

Back