advertisement

rega dac, cdq, young dac bake off

bottleneck

pfm Member
Im on short list to borrow a 'young' dac from keith.

When it gets here, thought some comparisons would be interesting.

Current digital source is a squeezebox.

Thought it would be interesting to compare -

1) wireless squeezebox
2) rega dac
3) audiolab cdq
4) 'young' dac

Anyone own a '3' or a '2' near Reading?

Chris Hi, they should be in very soon, can you send me your details perhaps an email, I would be very interested in the outcome, do you have a PC/Mac you can also use for the comparison?
Keith.

I know is is obviously subjective and difficult to give a 'percentage comparison' but how does the young sound compared to the 202? Also is there going to be a unit with a pre-amp/dig volume control at a similar price point? (I think I asked you this before so apologies if you have answered elsewhere)

Inter Hi, modern well designed and implemented dacs sound pretty similar, there are only small differences, I really believe there would be no need to buy anything more expensive, I can send you both and you can tell me!
There will soon be the ' Vaughn ' ,which will have separate power supply ,remote control ,8 DAC chips etc, it will me more expensive than the Young though.
Keith.

Inter Hi, modern well designed and implemented dacs sound pretty similar, there are only small differences, I really believe there would be no need to buy anything more expensive, I can send you both and you can tell me!
There will soon be the ' Vaughn ' ,which will have separate power supply ,remote control ,8 DAC chips etc, it will me more expensive than the Young though.
Keith.

Thanks keith, that's what I thought you might say. Cheers again for the offer but I would be told off by swmbo if I spent any more on kit ATM.

I remember you mentioning the vaughn and when you say more expensive we're talking weiss territory IIRC???

I'm happy with the BM currently (even though you hate it!) but always looking at options. Don't think that I'll ever look at splurging more than a grand on a dac in the future though. I would really like to try a young at some point but don't have a preamp and both of my systems are ATC based.........

Edit: sorry for the minor hijack

Inter Hi, I don't 'hate' it! Re the price I honestly don't know as cheap as possible hopefully ,regards Keith.
You can of course use the attenuator in your playback software .

Hi Keith!

Was hoping to also borrow a 'hi face' from you, so all DACs can be run from a laptop, with normal bit rate, and a higher res file.

Cheeky, I know..

NB
You'd be welcome to come of course.

Borrow ,borrow!, we are not a Public Library!
That would be fine, would you want BNC or RCA, I will send you a Young DAC too, I would be genuinely interested in your thoughts especially if you can compare to theRega and an Audiolab.
vb Keith.

Thanks Keith :)

I think comparisons of the different flavours will be interesting.

I am getting a measured in room response of +-3db from 30hz to 18khz at the moment, and will level match the DACs to ensure we can truly get a feel for the differences they offer.

Do feel free to come along if you fancy it.

NB
Rega and Audiolab cdq owners - pipe up :)

NNB Pre-amp uses RCA.

Chris Hi, you are not too far away,in fact I am heading to Sonning tomorrow!
Your room sounds pretty decent, I had a huge -15db trough and peaks before the Trinnov.
Very best,Keith.

Keith, I will be spending the day with a gorgeous young lady :D so can't meet tomorrow unfortunately hehe.

Bake-off will probably be in last two weeks of Feb. Can always borrow Rega and Audiolab from Audio T, but would rather not pay whopping deposits..

Keith - what price is the Young?

I know a 'young' man who recently borrowed an Audiolab CDQ and was very disappointed, but doesn't really want to spend Dac2 money at the moment.

Re your comment about all modern and well designed dacs sound similar, my experience was that the Weiss blew away everything else I've heard, including a Caiman, Dacmagic, Theta Pro Prime 2, Teddydac and a Squeezebox+.

Hi jezmond,

I have recently had a Caiman, a DACmagic, a Theta DS Pro Basic II and now an M2Tech Young.

The Young has blown all those away, without a word of hyperbole. Well worth a demo!

(I got fed up waiting for the MDAC)

What about adding the V-DAC + V-PSU to the mix? I think a few of you would be pleasantly surprised.

Hi

I dont think a Vdac / V power supply is a bad idea as a comparitor. It in fact has mostly good measured performance as per the stereophile review.

I think you guys should throw in the dac magic myself as quite a few people on here use these and are always asking whats the best upgrade for one of these

just really want to establish the sonic characteristic and a personal preference out of what must be 3 of the most popular sub £1k DAC/CDP options right now... according to us lot on PFM anyway.

advertisement

Back