advertisement

Rega DAC audio out channel imbalance

deebster

Half Man Half Biscuit
This started as an intermittent fault but now seems to be staying. The left channel is much quieter than the right. Changing cables makes no difference and swapping L and R swaps the imbalance, so I'm pretty sure it is in the DAC.

I'm no tech but am keen to see if I can diagnose the fault and maybe even repair it, if it's something as simple as a dry solder joint on the socket.

Just guessing for now though and haven't opened it up yet. Before I do any tips on where to start, or not at all if I risk borking it?

Hi deebster,

The analog output socket pair is board mounted. The PCB would need to come out should these need re-soldering.

A simple none invasive test here would be to wiggle the Lch RCA plug/socket about whilst listening. Should full volume be achievable by shifting the socket in one particular direction then a bad solder joint is the likely cause.

Regardless, get thee to thy Rega dealer.

Craig

Ta Craig

Yep, tried wiggling but no change. I don't have a Rega dealer as I bought this used from here so feels a bit unfair approaching them.

Ta Craig

Yep, tried wiggling but no change. I don't have a Rega dealer as I bought this used from here so feels a bit unfair approaching them.
Service and Sales are two different profit centers. Nothing unfair about giving a dealer and/or Rega themselves some service business.

Indeed, I was just thinking their assumption would be I'm chancing my arm for a freebie repair.

No harm getting in touch I guess.

Indeed, I was just thinking their assumption would be I'm chancing my arm for a freebie repair.

No harm getting in touch I guess.
If it isn't as simple as a failed solder joint at the output socket they'll likely send it back to Rega.

Just send it back direct - email rega service&support box it up and away.
Rega' policy has always been to have their appointed dealers provide front line triage service. In aid of this they provide a dealer only service portal containing sufficient service info to effect repairs and/or determine whether Rega's in house service team need attend. This is a logical way of providing top notch customer service worldwide, and dramatically reduces the numbers of items returned to HQ where a suspected fault proves to be none existent, or is elsewhere (including BLCAHF, i.e. between listening chair and hi-fi).

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom