advertisement

Rega Brio (2017) - Leave on or turn off?

You really should read up on our Canadian nuclear power industry and its effects upon the environment. Best to avoid anything published by the nuclear industry itself.
Okay.

Any solid state amp that takes 3 days to 'come on song' has either just been taken out of very long-term storage and/or, likely as not, is in need of a service. This is the Naim conundrum, a hi-fi enigma stored within an alloy sleeved paradox.

Yes, leave our amps on 24/7 for best performance at all times; just don't be surprised when the power supply capacitors lose the ability to charge themselves to anything like original spec. Thankfully, you won't notice this until you turn your amps off, which, of course, you shouldn't do; just plan on sending them in for a service every 10 years max.
I suppose the naim is past due with it's old caps as it's rather shrill when cold. I do know I had a nad 3120 in storage for about 6 years once that had quite a dc offset until I left it on for a week. it settled down to 31mV at the most.

I suppose the naim is past due with it's old caps as it's rather shrill when cold. I do know I had a nad 3120 in storage for about 6 years once that had quite a dc offset until I left it on for a week. it settled down to 31mV at the most.
I've experienced similar phenomenon with one or two little use amps here. I've been training myself to get these into 'rotation' a bit more often. It's either that or start culling the heard, which I really need to seriously consider starting in on, else these end up being totally wasted when someone else could be getting some enjoyment. Trouble is, they all have their charms, and once I get playing with them again I get emotionally attached like they are my children, or something. Suffice it to say that I could easily open a retro hi-fi shop and not have to buy anything in, except maybe coffee.

I've experienced similar phenomenon with one or two little use amps here. I've been training myself to get these into 'rotation' a bit more often. It's either that or start culling the heard, which I really need to seriously consider starting in on, else these end up being totally wasted when someone else could be getting some enjoyment. Trouble is, they all have their charms, and once I get playing with them again I get emotionally attached like they are my children, or something. Suffice it to say that I could easily open a retro hi-fi shop and not have to buy anything in, except maybe coffee.
I can't just get rid of the naim. It was a good friends system that passed away. I want to keep the music flowing on his system as a tribute to the fun times we had.

No this does sound a lot better now. Even the Brio on every speaker I have sounds better here.

I can't just get rid of the naim. It was a good friends system that passed away. I want to keep the music flowing on his system as a tribute to the fun times we had.
I wouldn't part with it either.

What we Canucks need is a qualified Naim experienced tech with OCD tendencies at a reasonable price. I've been intending to track down my old friend Terry Richardson, our former South Western Ontario Plurison sales rep, and pick his brain about this. Will let you know what I find out.

Last edited:
What we Canucks need is a qualified Naim experienced tech with OCD tendencies at a reasonable price. I been intending to track down my old friend Terry Richardson, our former South Western Ontario Plurison sales rep, and pick his brain about this. Will let you know what I find out.
Let me know if you hear anything.

advertisement

Back