advertisement

Rega Brio (2017) - Leave on or turn off?

Those small size Rega amps are amazing.

io-inside.jpg

they're the coolest. I'd love half width everything: pre, amp, dac and phono pre.

(while i'm making a wishlist, a half width rega TUBE preamp and power amp would be great. thanks)

I would strongly recommend turning it off for two reasons :

-There is (are) presence of relays and they have to be de-activated to make them last.

-There are also some large resistors very close from each other so they will produce some heat and also reduce the longevity.

Sound wise, it will be to its best after 10 minutes playing music if there is any "warm up" required.

Hello All:

I am wondering if I should leave my rega brio on or turn it off? What changes if anything to the sound?

x21
Simple answer is, if you have to ask - off.

If there was a clearly audible benefit from leaving it on, you'd be hearing it.

When I was fussed about this I had a dedicated spur which I turned on at the fuse box at midday and turned off when I went to bed…. Leaving stuff on 24/7 offended my miserly nature. I’ve still a dedicated spur (in another home) but just fiddling occasionally I found no change after twenty minutes on anything I’ve used so it’s become a ‘life’s too short to stuff a mushroom’ sort of issue. So, an instant No here.

When my amp blowed up, exploded and burned, I no longer left kit on when out or at nights.

When my amp blowed up, exploded and burned, I no longer left kit on when out or at nights.
Some classic equipment like Naim and Quad was designed and sold long before the modern fire safety regulations came into force. The consequences of this can be seen in standard faults like the notorious Quad AC filter capacitor and the Naim display backlight.

I contacted vitus, they said heat is the enemy always off, audio valve same. Even brinkmann said motor off when not in use.

advertisement

Back