advertisement

Rega Brio 2017 hum

David11

Hi people,
I have seen that on this forum there are some people who have had hum noise problems with Rega equipment.
I just got a latest model Rega Brio and I am having this problem (hum at about 50hz and upper harmonics, no buzz, also without source connected).
The strange thing is that it occurs in an apparently random way. Also sometimes it's static, sometimes it's swinging, sometimes it's just on one channel, sometimes it starts when the music ends ....
Unfortunately I could not find any solution online, just people who say they have tried sending it for repair but without success.
Anyone by chance can tell me what I could do?
It's a shame if I can't fix it because it's a great amp, really.

Is it from the amp itself or through the speakers?

My Elex-r hums occasionally from the amp itself though, sort of an oscillating mechanical hum. Think it's a dc problem on my mains but haven't pinned down what's causing it and to be honest it isn't that loud.

Think I would be tempted to try a DC Blocker if was bothering me more. Anybody used one before?

My Elex-r hums occasionally from the amp itself though, sort of an oscillating mechanical hum. Think it's a dc problem on my mains but haven't pinned down what's causing it and to be honest it isn't that loud.

Think I would be tempted to try a DC Blocker if was bothering me more. Anybody used one before?

In my case it's from speakers...

To answer about the DC blocker, I am using one and it did reduce the hum (from the transformer) but didn't remedy it completely. Made the hum less noticeable and it does not fluctuate anymore. As a side note I have not noticed any difference in the sound quality.
There is a pfm thread where DC blockers are discussed in more detail; if I find the link will post it here.

If only there existed some sort of mains conditioning device that would convert AC to DC in a linear fashion and perhaps also act as reservoir of some sort that could supply an amplifier on demand. Something not too complicated, mind; all the better if it could simply fit inside, rather than requiring a separate box.

1017regab.ins.jpg

advertisement

Back