advertisement

Rega Aria alternatives

get a used Cyrus signature or a musical fidelity m6 phono stage again used as a new one is around 1300 but well worth the extra if you want new.

Resurrecting this as I'm drawn to the pretty lights of the Chord Huei......I have an Aria with a rp8/apheta3. Anyone else moved from the aria to the huei? If so, how have you got on?

If you can get a home demo of the Dynavector P75 mk4 that would be interesting- it depends what you are looking for but if you want a detailed but rhythmic, coherent sound but not overly etched then it could be an option.

It you want more detail and a more etched presentation then Tom Evans phonostages are excellent.

Wildcard, my brother has one of the latest Luxman phonostages - very good all rounder

Tom Evans phono stages are excellent.
Agreed, of course they don't do MM and MC, but I really consider them a step up from the Aria - I had both that and a Microgroove+ X mk2.5 (upgraded from a mk1). Unfortunately there is a set of 4g mobile network antennas on the roof of the apartment building I am living in and the Microgroove just cannot cope with that, letting out an audible whine in both channels unless I wrap the whole thing in tin foil, which still leaves a tiny bit of extra noise in one channel.

Ultimately I sold the Aria and picked up an Avid Pulsus which is superior to the Aria and perhaps on the same level as the Microgroove, but more expensive, although it is also more adjustable and can do MM as well as MC. Ultimately I still think I would prefer the Microgroove to the Pulsus without the whine and the tin foil hack. The Pulsus is a bit warmer and punchier in the bass, while the Microgroove is leaner and drier in the bass and a bit clearer sounding overall. Both are more lively and dynamic than the Aria was. This is with a Dynavector 20x2 LOMC.

advertisement

Back