advertisement

Rega are working on new MM PUs

Excellence is always a matter of opinion. I'm not saying that plastic speakers can't sound good. Just that I tend to like wooden ones myself.
IIRC, you enjoyed a pair of loudspeakers that were a hybrid of wood and plastic, for some years.

Marble, concrete, plexi, a piece of card board tubing, etc. etc. Everything has been used, not very important to ventilate. But a new MM-cart ;)

I thought it was interesting that ATC used a metal baffle on the original SCM-7’s.

630182_1570335991_1_sq.jpg

Interesting hint wrt MM developments, although, it sounds as though new production models are some way off, vis-à-vis, them being in the modelling stages now.

As a related bit of trivia; Rega's own built MMs also eschew convention by not employing a cantilever suspension tie wire, relying instead upon the damped pivot block to be both suspension and damped pivot. Rega weren't actually the first to do this, one of audio-technica's DM ('Duexciting Magnet') IM (yes, IM) series from the 1970s, called AT-66, lacked a suspension wire. There was a virtually identical next IM series up called AT-21, with wired cantilever. A-T's IM experiments were short lived; I wonder if Rega might head down this road.

IIRC, you enjoyed a pair of loudspeakers that were a hybrid of wood and plastic, for some years.

Yes. Linn Saras have a plastic baffle but the box is still wood. I just seem to like the colouration and warmth a bit of wood adds to the mix.

I thought it was interesting that ATC used a metal baffle on the original SCM-7’s.

630182_1570335991_1_sq.jpg
I always liked this version of the little SCM-7, had a pair and wish that I had kept them. While the newer version tweeters are better, I just liked the old school boxes with this baffle better. Go figure.

No mention of where the current loudspeaker cabinets are built.

From their website:
The Kytes are meticulously hand assembled in house using our unique design phenolic resin cabinet. Internally they feature ceramic plates and carefully engineered cross bracing developed to make the cabinet extremely stiff.

Interesting hint wrt MM developments, although, it sounds as though new production models are some way off, vis-à-vis, them being in the modelling stages now.

As a related bit of trivia; Rega's own built MMs also eschew convention by not employing a cantilever suspension tie wire, relying instead upon the damped pivot block to be both suspension and damped pivot. Rega weren't actually the first to do this, one of audio-technica's DM ('Duexciting Magnet') IM (yes, IM) series from the 1970s, called AT-66, lacked a suspension wire. There was a virtually identical next IM series up called AT-21, with wired cantilever. A-T's IM experiments were short lived; I wonder if Rega might head down this road.

Most recent years Rega MM offering were not that popular, they have discontinued Bias and delayed Elys due to missing parts, only Exact seem to be in range for the time being.
Doubt we ever experience more Elys/Bias.

Guess they work on some refinement of OEM choices, much better profit if they use manufacture time to make MC.

Just watched the video now. Very interesting stuff. I’ve huge respect for Rega, they have unquestionably carved their own path and I’ll be interested to see how their new carts and speakers turn out.

advertisement

Back