advertisement

Rega Apollo-R Problems HELP!

AJ71

pfm Member
If anyone here has an answer to these problems i'm having please shout up.

I bought this Apollo-R via a member on here this week and we've been exchanging emails regarding the problem. But i wanted to see if anyone else had encountered the same problems and hopefully get someone from Rega in on the discussion (seeing as i can't find an email address to contact them direct)

I've tried around 5 CDs so far and 2 wont play, here are some video clips

http://youtu.be/WGSl06vCynU

http://youtu.be/qdYQb1el1xk

I don't know if this particular CD player is very temperamental (?) but obviously if half my CDs aren't going to play it's of little use to me

It was intended to be the last part of my all Rega system (RP6, DAC, Brio-R) but right now i'm feeling deflated

thanks Andy

My Apollo (not R) has never been particularly fussy. I'd try a bigger sample than five to prove it, but sounds as if yours is faulty. Was it sent to you by post/courier when you bought it? Any impact might have slightly jogged the laser alignment.

Some discs take a few seconds longer to initialise than others but all the Apollo-rs I have had through my hands, have worked perfectly. Unfortunately, the one you have appears to be faulty and should be returned to the dealer or to Rega via a dealer.

I will contact Paul Darwin to help.

Legally speaking your any rights you have are against the person who sold it to you. If its a private sale, the original dealer who sold the item has no particular liability to you. However I'm sure any reputable Rega dealer such as Dave would advise you the best way to get the unit back to Rega for service/repair if its required, or you could contact Rega direct. I don't know if their warranty is transferrable, but they might honour it as a matter of goodwill if asked nicely. Otherwise you would be liable for the cost of repair.

I had a similar problem with 2 Apollo-R's and 2 other problems with 2 other Apollo-R's. I went through 4 altogether before I gave up. Loved the sound and hated the hassle. Somehow Rega, their US Distributor and my dealer (for 3 of the players) thought that I enjoyed traveling a 4 hour round trip on my nickel to replace CD players. Pure BS and hassle, good riddance. All of the above went so far as to suggest that my homes electrical was the problem and I spent over $1000 having every aspect of my homes wiring inspected...not only was there no problem but it is quite sound.

In spite of it all I still love Rega for the products they do well and have a Brio-R singing away as I type. I also have an old school Apollo in a second system. Good luck with your CD player. I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

I would suggest you give it time on each disc, all the saturns and apollos can be slow to read, or initialise the odd disc. If it still gives problems, ring your local Rega dealef and take it in. They will send it back for repair. Rega prefer all contact to be through the dealer network. Hence no contact e_mail address I guess. Whenever I have needed any help it has always been willingly given.

Hi AJ71, irrespective of the fact that the CD player was bought second hand we will obviously repair, service and return the unit to you free of charge, if it is clear that the problem is manufacturing defect and not user abuse.

If you could either send back to Rega HQ with a covering letter (using my name as validation) and for the attention of Rega Service or take it into any Rega dealer and we will sort the problem out for you.

Best Regards,

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

Now that is service!

I recently purchased an Apollo-R and it does take time to read some discs but it gets there in the end. I don't mind the wait - adds to the anticipation! It is being used as a transport only. I have even more recently purchased a RP6. Both were secondhand purchases. Great to know that Rega care about their clients base.

Gives confidence to all potential Rega customers.

I agree, last week I purchased an ex dem Osiris and Valve Isis. I have only bought Naim for 25 years but feel they are taking the mick with the constant price increases, and the number of boxes needed, not for me anymore. I was going to buy a Devialet, but wanted to stay British, and support a local company, who I was confident would give good service. This reply by Paul adds to my confidence in my purchase.

Hope you get it sorted Andy.

I've felt for many years that Rega are one of the good guys of the hifi world - this confirms it.

Thanks for that Paul, i'm wondering if i should return to seller and let him deal with this rather than myself. Especially if there are potential costs to be incurred. I'll message him and see what he thinks.

Update : I've just spent 28 minutes listening to a CD perfectly only for it to then revert to type and start stopping, skipping as before.

Darn it.

AJ71,

Whatever is easier for you, I find it hard to imagine that there will be costs incurred as I am sure the unit has not been mis-treated in any way. Sounds a simple laser replacement issue which would certainly be covered by warranty if the unit is less than two years old.

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

The Apollo-R is winging it's way to Rega today for a hopeful positive solution

Thanks to Paul for helping out

Andy

Great to see this sort of customer service! :)

I recently had problems with a Fono Mini and Rega handled the whole situation impeccably.

advertisement

Back