Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Rega Apheta 2

Discussion in 'audio' started by puddlesplasher, Oct 18, 2021.

1. puddlesplasher

puddlesplasher pfm Member

I have a damaged Apheta 2 and wondered if anyone knows if Rega still do rebuilds.
    Thanks

2. freefallrob

freefallrob pfm Member

3. pocketkitchen

pocketkitchen Registered User

4. Hoopsontoast

Hoopsontoast pfm Member

This, through Paul they were able to rebuild my old Ania after a cleaning incedent..

5. dave charlton

dave charlton pfm Member

Very pleased with my Apheta. Not sure if they rebuild one's own cart or exchange for a same model that has already been rebuilt, allowing one's own to go into stock (iyswim).

6. puddlesplasher

I will ask but thanks for replying. Mine was also cleaning accident and bloody annoying.

7. paul darwin

paul darwin Trade: Rega Research

We can rebuild all Apheta models as per existing model, please arrange through your local Rega dealer, best, PD.

Darren L, yespsb, Mr Pig and 2 others like this.
  8. puddlesplasher

That’s great, thanks Paul

9. James Morris

James Morris Well-Known Member

Interesting. Didn't know you could rebuild carts.
    Does that also apply for those at end of life? Ie plenty of hours.

10. paul darwin

Yes, they are completely stripped down and rebuilt using new parts where appropriate (i.e. not the body etc) so effectively you get a brand new cartridge (with the above caveat)

Darren L and Mr Pig like this.
  11. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

Scraping a stylus/cantilever without a cat or a small child would give me PTSD. How are you all coping? :)

12. James Morris

James Morris Well-Known Member

Cool beans.
    Ta very much.

13. yespsb

yespsb Active Member

Very interesting thread as my Rega dealer told me earlier this year that Rega don't repair cartridges and my Apheta 2 had to be replaced by an Apheta 3 at a cost of £1250 (In fact I am sure I have emails from him saying exactly this). To make matters worse after a few weeks I started getting playback problems that were eventually traced back to 2 of the arm cables being loose on the Apheta 3 cartridge.

That experience made me doubt the dealer, this thread has guaranteed he never gets another penny from me.

Snufkin, Darren L and Mr Pig like this.
  14. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

15. yespsb

yespsb Active Member

I took some time out to go back through my emails and found my discussion with the Rega dealer. I was wrong to say the dealer said in emails that Rega did not repair cartridges.

What he actually wrote was the Apheta 2 was no longer available but it might be possible to have it repaired however as the Apheta is handmade he wouldn't recommend it (the inference was the repair was via an unspecified 3rd party) At no time what so ever did the long established Rega dealer mention either verbally or in writing that Rega offered any sort of cartridge repair service, I recall asking him over the phone and I am confident he said they didn't.

Now I have no idea how much Rega would have charged me to repair my damaged Apheta 2 cantilever but I do know it would have been less than my new Apheta 3 cost me and therefore its difficult not to conclude I have been deliberately misled to increase the profit of the said dealer. This is not a mistake or a glitch in communications, this is a authorised Rega dealer taking advantage of me and my lack of knowledge and that's wrong no matter how you look at it.

16. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

17. paul darwin

yespbs, it would appear that the unspecified Rega dealer of long standing was indeed largely correct, in as much as the Apheta 2 is no longer available and it might (would) be possible for it to be repaired (quite where the unspecified third party comes in I do not know, perhaps you would be good enough to let me know that too)

But possibly he said that the Apheta 3 was a far better cartridge and any potential rebuild expenditure could be better applied to that (I'm guessing here)

If you could PM me with the dealer concerned then I can speak to them and conclude accordingly,

Many thanks,

PD

yespsb, Mynamemynaim and Mr Pig like this.
  18. yespsb

yespsb Active Member

Thank you Paul I appreciate your assistance, I have sent you a PM, all the best Paul B

Darren L likes this.